HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    shannon duplesis

beginning writers

I am a beginning writer who has no idea where to start. I have some ideas but don't know if they're any good. i need some advice for getting started. any help would be useful. thank you.

Jim Wynne

beginning writers

Shannon, everyone has to start somewhere. Writers.Net is lucky that you have chosen their site. I would be happy to help. Whatever questions you have probably have been asked by all of us. Jim Wynne

James Macdonald

beginning writers

Lessee -- advice. How about Heinlein's advice? ]1. You must write. ]2. You must finish what you start. ]3. You must refrain from rewriting except to editorial specification. ]4. You must put it on the market. ]5. You must keep it on the market until sold.

Shane Sutliff

beginning writers

Shannon, Wonderful that you are seeking advice. That's one of the keys to getting started--a willingness to ask for help, and share what you learn with others. If you ever need to talk, or have questions, e-mail me: rsutliff@cswnet.com. Not making any promises--no one has all the answers...but I'll damn sure do my best!

Marva L. Dowdin

beginning writers

Shannon, I know what you mean. However, I was the oppsite; that is I knew what I wanted to write, but the format had me puzzled. I found that you do need some quiet time and little or no interruptions. It helps to set a some time just for writing and nothing else. I did not have a computer at first. I had written my poems and short stories by long hand. I took my note pads with me everywhere I went. My two boys kept me busy with their sports and practices, that it was better for me that way. Of course, everyone is different. Then I finally got my computer and it was a lot easiler for me. I screwed up so much with that computer trying to figure it out, that I think I lost half my hair. But I didn't give up. My joy came when "my words" were finally on white paper, where someone else could read my words execpt me. Now, I don't mess up so much on my computer. So, girl! Get started and don't stop until you finish! (Smile) Marva

Shane Sutliff

beginning writers

That is probably the biggest downfall for us all--time! Between work, making ends meet, functions with the kids, being married (my wife is the female version of Tim Allen, Marva--so I know where you're coming from!)--there's hardly any time left for the written word. However, you have to ultimately set aside time to WRITE. For me, when I get a story in my head, I let it simmer there until I can see pretty much the entire thing folded out almost like a movie. Then I sit down and furiously write--no one sees me for a few weeks (except to go to the drudgery of the office and getting the pay check) until it's finished. Usually, this works, and I can crank out out a novel like this in a couple of months. Then I have the down time dedicated to the editing until the next idea hits. Then I'm off again. Now, though, I've caught myself in a delimma--I've got two full novels going at the same time! Almost get my characters confused! Keep cranking at it. You'll get there eventually and when you've finished that first one--the feeling is absolutely wonderful!

Marva L.Dowdin

beginning writers

Shannon, you can also e-mail me at mdowdin@citynet.net for any information that I can share with you. The thing is to make your writing fun and enjoyable. That is, once you have it down on paper, just seeing that much accomplished is a joy. (Smile) Marva

Marva L. Dowdin

beginning writers

Shane, I had a dream one day. The next day I was writing poems at lightening speed. I called my mother. She thought they were funny, but she also thought I was crazy. From then on, in the middle of the night I often jumped up and wrote more poem titles. Sometimes, I was jumping up four or five times during the night. And writing poems by day or whatever. So I didn't get much sleep. But it was worth it. I now have 2,967 poem titles. Adding more everyday. You just have to stay at it. It will pay off one day. (Smile) Marva

Marva L. Dowdin

beginning writers

Sometimes an author may have to self-publish to get the eye of a large publishing house. It is expensive, but worth it. Marva

Marva L. Dowdin

beginning writers

I have found another writer's web site. It is: Unpublished Works at http://www.unpublish.com Marva