+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: disease

Carol Jose

disease

Robert: It depends...

Côté, Laurier

disease

Very good question... But remember that it can be fun too to be sick that way... Better that than... politics. Those are very sick people. Laurier.

Dave Beemon

disease

In the end, no, it doesn't matter, but in the beginning it helps us to feel important, and we all need that, don't we? Maybe it's possible to write without an ego. That would be great writing. I'm going to aspire to that.

Barbara Bassett

disease

Laurier--doesn't it depend on the writer--and on the politician? In both cases (and unless I'm looking through sick eyes) there seem to me to be a number of healthy ones. b BB

Kathryn Lord

disease

Dave- I think you mean to aspire to writing without an overweening ego, to writing in which the writer doesn't overwhelm what is written. To write completely without ego would be to have no point of view, no sense of self -- just random words. You choose the words when you write, and that act of choice inserts your ego. A nice conundrum. And considering writing either a curse or a talent depends, I think, on your mood that day, and how the work is going -- because the writing is so very much a part of you.

Barbara Bassett

disease

b A talent or a curse? Well, the original question was whether the i ability to write is a talent or a curse. It's hard for me to imagine an i ability that's not a talent. Maybe my use of words just isn't sufficiently versatile and ambiguous, but it seems to me that the area of non-overlap between the abilities and the talents isn't very big. Certainly writing is squarely in the i overlap zone. There are some anti-intellectual folks "out there in the brush" among whom writing talent may be so ill-liked that it proves a curse, though most of us can just avoid those people. Mostly, abilities aren't curses--though this time I can think of a few exceptions (like skill with opening other people's safes). Anyway, I vote for talent, and not for curse.

Barbara Bassett

disease

Of course, we shouldn't ignore the twisted question: is the ability to curse a talent?

Bee mackey

disease

It's only 5 cents worth...but interesting. C.Day Lewis said: “First, I do not sit down at my desk to put into verse something that is already clear in my mind.If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. ...We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand.”

Peter Smith

disease

I believe that writers only write to be heard by a society that won't listen to us in person. This is a talent that only a few possess so the burden is upon you to get out there and get heard more loudly.

Peter Smith

disease

I believe that writers only write to be heard by a society that won't listen to us in person. This is a talent that only a few possess so the burden is upon you to get out there and get heard more loudly.