HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Carol Jose

Yes to skill builders!

Luis...probably not...a lot of us who write professionally stopped coming to this site, because the only discussions were about getting agents, ripoff agents, or how to get published--questions which we can direct you to helpful sources to solve, but no one can really give an acceptable answer on this. Getting published is 60 percent good product, 20 percent being in the right place at the right time with the right product (sort of like winning the lottery or being struck by lightning)18 percent perspiration and perseverance, and two percent who you know. I think this site would help a lot more if we could stick to discussing how to write well, and how to make our manuscripts perfect before trying to find an agent or publisher. Sharing writing and editing tips and skills, and that kind of stuff. Which is what this site is supposed to be about. But everyone in here seems to want only the magic potion...HOW DO I GET PUBLISHED AND MAKE A MILLION BUCKS?...so there's nothing to discuss, really.

Caro Soles

Yes to skill builders!

<P>Hi Carol, <P> I just found this place and wouild be delighted to share tips and ideas about how to make out mss better. That's just what I am looking for! As a published writer who is now attempting to switch genres, I find it hard to discover a place to exchange with other publ;ished writers about the technique of writing, rather than the <I>how do I get published?</I> type of quesiton, valid though that may be. <HR> <P>Please don't go away!</P> Caro

Carol Jose

Yes to skill builders!

Hi Caro: I still visit, just not as often as I did before. Would be glad to join in discussions on which genres are currently IN in the publishing field, which are OUT...also proper ms preparation. My website is at http://www.adcgolf.com/jose You can visit me there, or EMail me from there...cheers and good luck! Carol Jose

Donna Cowan

Yes to skill builders!

Where'd everybody go? I just found this place. And why does everyone have the same photo? Just had to ask. And is anyone out there doing anything or know anything about the Christian fiction or romance genre? I'd like to get a discussion going on this. My previous published book is non-fiction, and I have another at the publisher that is a devotional, but I have just written a Christian novel that could be written as a romance or as a "main-stream" Christian novel. Anyone write in those areas?

Carol Jose

Yes to skill builders!

Hi Donna: I don't know...everyone kind of drifted off, since everyone is busy, and not much was percolating here for published authors. I don't write in the fiction romance genre, so am no help to you there, but I'd think there would be a ver good market for well-written Christian fiction about now...

Deborah Turner

Yes to skill builders!

I first do a quick outline sketch of what I think the story is going to do and where it will end up. Then I go back and write a much more detailed outline. It's not formal, more a narrative form. I also include thoughts on what may happen in the plot or how this character may relate to that character later on if what's happening at this point in the plot continues in the same vein. I say that because as I actually get into the writing, my characters tend to do their own thing or the plot changes substantially. So in my plotting outline I make several options and then toss out the ones I don't like. I usually end up with many more pages of plot outline than I actually need, but it gives me plenty to work with when the writing gets started.

Deborah Turner

Yes to skill builders!

I first do a quick outline sketch of what I think the story is going to do and where it will end up. Then I go back and write a much more detailed outline. It's not formal, more a narrative form. I also include thoughts on what may happen in the plot or how this character may relate to that character later on if what's happening at this point in the plot continues in the same vein. I say that because as I actually get into the writing, my characters tend to do their own thing or the plot changes substantially. So in my plotting outline I make several options and then toss out the ones I don't like. I usually end up with many more pages of plot outline than I actually need, but it gives me plenty to work with when the writing gets started.

Tricia Wang

Yes to skill builders!

Carol--check out the Poets and Writers site and visit the Speakeasy for discussions with an emphasis on writing rather than publishing. there are over a hundred conferences going on, quite varied subjects. the only problem is that the same 8 -10 people visit ALL of the conferences on a daily basis, and tend to monopolize the conversations. but still quite worthwhile to visit.

jeanot Klassen

Yes to skill builders!

I have just started writing a story, but I need tips on how to build a realistic plot. I have done research about the subject I am treating, but do not have enough information. Where can I find it. I need to know more about genetic splicing and hybridizing plants to create new species and some information on the dangers of these manipulations for the planet. Any suggestions of reading materials or web sites would be appreciated. I need road blocks for my characters to bring out the suspense elements in the story. Thanks, Jeanot

Lola Henault

Yes to skill builders!

Jeanot, I may be able to help you, and if I can't I can surely point you towards a few people who could. E-mail me at lhenault@ualberta.ca Otherwise, your best bet is to look up various universities on the web - go to molecular biology sections (or genetics) and seek faculty lists. Everyone is one the web and I'm sure there are many profs who would be glad to belp you out. Best of luck. I have a question of my own. Does any one know what would happen with an abandoned ship found sailing the pacific ocean? That is, if there were no clue as to ownership. Would it be kept somewhere, waiting to be claimed, and if so, for how long?