HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Christine Beatty

New to the Business

Elizabeth, the number one maxim for writers is "write what you know about." While being sixteen does not give a deep well of life experience, it does *not* limit your imagination. I used the Internet to research many of the facts I wound into my new (unpublished) novel The Princess and the Queen. The important thing to remember is that research cannot replace experience, only supplement it. Just keep writing, keep trying new ideas and sooner or later one of them will take you by the hand and not let go until you finish the final draft. Good luck!

Christine Beatty

New to the Business

Elizabeth, the number one maxim for writers is "write about what you know." While being sixteen does not give a deep well of life experience from which to draw, it does *not* limit your imagination. Combine your imagination with what experience you *do* have, and use research to fill in the gaps and make your story believable. I used the Internet to research many of the facts I wove into my new (unpublished) novel The Princess and the Queen, and I recommend it to any writer who'd like to pepper their manuscript with factual, topical details. The important thing to remember is that research cannot replace experience, only supplement it. Just keep writing, keep trying new ideas and sooner or later one of them will take you by the hand and not let go until you finish the final draft. Good luck!

Christine Beatty

New to the Business

Elizabeth, the number one maxim for writers is "write about what you know." While being sixteen does not give a deep well of life experience from which to draw, it does *not* limit your imagination. Combine your imagination with what experience you *do* have, and use research to fill in the gaps and make your story believable. I used the Internet to research many of the facts I wove into my new (unpublished) novel The Princess and the Queen, and I recommend it to any writer who'd like to pepper their manuscript with factual, topical details. The important thing to remember is that research cannot replace experience, only supplement it. Just keep writing, keep trying new ideas and sooner or later one of them will take you by the hand and not let go until you finish the final draft. Good luck!

davida norrell

New to the Business

hi Elizabeth and Christine. My name is Davida my email is boopadida@netscape.net. I WAS a young writer about ten or so years ago. I always had a good imagination, still do. But i never wrote anything down. But what to write.? I love sci-fi and horror and with having strange dreams found this to be my favorite thing to write about. So one day while watching t.v. a thought hit, i got some paper and a pencil and started writing. The more i wrote the longer it got and more complex it became. I thought why not write all my creative ideas down. Now i have it written as a novel, i have a short story, and a thriller, not done yet. But now that my main story is done, what to do next? I need an agent. I've been searching the writers net but don't know my way around yet. Good Luck, we both need it. DN

Katalina Smith

New to the Business

I am an advanced court reporting student. Recently I transcribed audio tapes for a writer and would love to do more of this work. I'm not sure who I need to talk to. Are there other writers who would be interested in this service? Any information would be greatly appreciated.