HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is this a scam?

Jeff Lee

Is this a scam?

Brian: Don't walk, run, run, run away from any such agent.

Kay F. Gibbs

Is this a scam?

I received a letter from a publisher stating they were interested in my manuscript they discovered during a search with the Library of Congress. I responded stating that the material was not ready for review. I received another letter today claiming that I had sent them a partial manuscript for review which I did not do. Should I contact my attorney regarding this? I am requesting they return the copy to me so I may review what they claim to have received from me.

Sharon Slater

Is this a scam?

Brian, Yes it is probably a scam. The same happened to me. A publisher wanted $6,000. up front. My agent said run like lightening. Most likely your book would be listed in some catalog without promise it would ever hit the book shelves. What happen to me is: I sent the first two chapters, along with a synopsis. The publisher requested the entire manuscript. Like a dummy, I sent it. After I turned down the offer, I requested they return my manuscript, even though it was a copy. For an entire year I requested the manuscript returned, without luck. Three years later, a movie came to the screen. I did not see the movie, but nearly all my friends of whom had read my story, said the movie was my story with minor changes. Later, I learned the story had been published by an extension of the company I had sent my manuscript originally. If you mail an entire book manuscript, be sure you have rights, or mail a copy to yourself on the same day. Do not open the copy you send to youself. It can serve as proof in court that you sent the material to the publisher. Also, when a publisher requests the remaining manuscript, send it certified return receipt.