HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: American Gods

American Gods

I'm coming to this party a little late. I've just begun American Gods by Neil Gaiman. A few weeks ago, I finished another of his novels: The Ocean at the End of the Lane. Has anyone read American Gods?

Nope. I've never been much for fantasy and the metaphysical. (I guess I lean more toward the Elmore Leonard school of story telling.)

Quote Originally Posted by jayce View Post
    Nope. I've never been much for fantasy and the metaphysical. (I guess I lean more toward the Elmore Leonard school of story telling.)
    I should probably read some Elmore Leonard: I know Stephen King named him as one of his big influences.

I'm about 40 pages into American Gods and I'm really struggling, lol. I'm more of a Horror fan. There's too much old gods BS for me already. I doubt have enough patience or, lacking that, vodka, to finish the story. But we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tinman View Post

I doubt have enough... vodka to finish the story.
    Heh, heh.

Merlot helps.

Heh, heh.

Merlot helps.
    Lol. Having a liquor store nearby helps too.

Ok. I had to quit reading this book. Taste is subjective, and I know many people who thought this was a great novel, but damn. Reading a novel isn't supposed to be like a trip to the dentist and it shouldn't be a chore you force yourself to do. That's how I felt.

Try "Out of Sight":

Foley had never seen a prison where you could walk right up to the fence without getting shot.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tinman View Post
    Ok. I had to quit reading this book. Taste is subjective, and I know many people who thought this was a great novel, but damn. Reading a novel isn't supposed to be like a trip to the dentist and it shouldn't be a chore you force yourself to do. That's how I felt.
    You're absolutely right. Taste is subjective, and whether you enjoy something or not is not a measure of whether it is good or not.

Life is far too short.... read something you WILL enjoy. Can't go far wrong with King! That man first got me passionate about being a writer.

We all have different styles of writing and indeed reading. Makes the world go around

Quote Originally Posted by Debbi V View Post
    Y...whether you enjoy something or not is not a measure of whether it is good or not.
    Depending on your experience, education, and character, it could well be a very accurate measure of whether it is good or not.

Try "Out of Sight":

Foley had never seen a prison where you could walk right up to the fence without getting shot.
    Ok. Thanks for the recommendation!