HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Can a YA protagonist be 18?

I'm working on a novel right now in which I have an 18 yr old protagonist.

It's a dystopian novel about a futuristic version of the United States in which the country is in complete and total peace: no war, no crime, nothing. Behind the scenes, though, is a secret government initative that's actually the ones working to keep the peace. The main character, Riley, is recruited into the program when she graduates high school.

To me it feels very YA in nature. It's about a young girl figuring out about her birth parents and her past who's dealing with boy crushes and girlfriends and things like that. But she is 18. Is that too old to be a YA protagonist?

And if this isn't a YA novel what is? Regular fiction? Sci-fi? Fantasy?

Any help would be appreciated

Rogue Mutt
    18 doesn't seem like a problem.

Not a problem at all, though you may want to consider a name other than "Riley." Sounds too familiar. I don't read quite enough YA to know for sure, but I think it's been recently used for a main character in a popular YA novel.

18 is totally fine. Think more of the mindset than the number. Someone who is eighteen may be going to college or university, entering the work force for the first time or even backpacking around Europe trying to "find themselves". A common theme of YA novels is the self-discovery the characters go through, their growth and that they don't have all the answers. You seem to have that covered. Happy writing.
    K.S. Crooks - Dreamer and Author
    http://www.kscrooks.com