HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Query critique request

Feliz Piez wants to die. *He doesn't want to be dead dead, just metaphorically dead so he sets out on a quest to kill himself, write his book, and go to Cuba, and not necessarily in that order.
    He is contacted by Milagro, a sage, or perhaps a charlatan, who convinces him he will show him the path to killing himself. Feliz hires a ghost writer to document his “life and dying.” They work on the book for two years and then Feliz suddenly disappears along with the only copy of the manuscript. The ghost writer has no resources except for a box of scrap notes and his memories. He is greatly impressed with the truths he has gleaned from his conversations with Feliz and feels he cannot, in good conscience, leave these truths, hidden from the world in dusty corner of his study. Combine the oppressive guilt of Dostoyevsky’s “Crime and Punishment”, the Romantic quest of Cervantes’s “Don Quixote” and the magical thinking of Carlos Castaneda and you get “Excerpts from: The Life and Dying of Feliz Piez.”
    I am a retired Licensed Clinical Therapist. I spent my career of almost thirty years counseling clients with the depression and anxiety brought on by guilt, failure, rejection and the consequences of life choices. I didn’t truly understand the depth of their pain until I reached “The Age of Grieving” and came face to face with the deep despair of my own life of overwhelming guilt and a lack of a sense of forgiveness. “Excerpts” is my reconstructed healing narrative done with humor and satire and truth.

Rogue Mutt
    This is too vague. You need to actually tell an agent or editor what some of these "truths" are. Comparing your book to Crime and Punishment and Don Quixote just sounds arrogant. Find something more contemporary.

You'd probably do better writing non-fiction. A background in grief counseling would give you some credibility to sell it.

stuck smack dab in the middle of the bell curve

Omniscience must be a heavy burden for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mutt View Post
    This is too vague. You need to actually tell an agent or editor what some of these "truths" are. Comparing your book to Crime and Punishment and Don Quixote just sounds arrogant. Find something more contemporary.

You'd probably do better writing non-fiction. A background in grief counseling would give you some credibility to sell it.

Rogue Mutt
    You're as clueless about omniscience as Oberon.