HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Is it okay to leave this part of my plot unexplained?

It's a suspense thriller type story, and in it, a woman is avoiding be subpoenaed to testify in a felony court case, but she does not want to get involved. So the prosecutor has her arrested with a material witness warrant to secure her testimony. After spending a few hours in custody, the prosecutor orders her to be released, since he thinks he made his point, and wants to be able go home to her own bed for the night, since her testimony date is next the day.

The investigating cop on the case offers, to give her a ride back home. Other villains who are accomplices of the defendant, but unbeknownst to the police, are waiting her, for when she comes home. I wrote it so that the cop gives her a ride, cause I wanted the cop to get caught in the crossfire between her and the villains in the process.

However, my plot dilemma, is that I have no explanation as to how the villains new she was subpoenaed to testify, no more than one day later. How could they have found out that she was not only arrested on a material witness warrant and subpoenaed, but released the same day as well, so they could wait for her at her place, only hours later?

There are several fiction books and movies though, where villains will show up by surprise, to make attempts on other characters lives. Should I just keep it a mystery to the reader like those, or is this something that has to be explained do you think?

Rogue Mutt
    Ugh, this guy again.

Rich Plowden
    I think you need to do whatever you think is best.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mutt View Post
    Ugh, this guy again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Plowden View Post
    I think you need to do whatever you think is best.
    So, Rogue… er, Rich. Are you carrying on conversations with yourself here? Hey, you could populate the whole site with Rogue puppets. You might even be Jay Greenstein!

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by jayce View Post
    So, Rogue… er, Rich. Are you carrying on conversations with yourself here? Hey, you could populate the whole site with Rogue puppets. You might even be Jay Greenstein!
    Maybe you're my puppet. Maybe the Matrix has all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mutt View Post
    Maybe you're my puppet.
    Heh heh. Thought I'd been feeling a little strange lately.

The villains don't need to know about the subpoena or arrest. If they know that she was a witness then they would be looking to silence her regardless of the actions of the police and prosecutor. It may be it has taken X many days to track down where she lives or works. Perhaps show some of the lengths the villains have gone through to find her.
    K.S. Crooks - Dreamer and Author
    http://www.kscrooks.com

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by K.S. Crooks View Post
    The villains don't need to know about the subpoena or arrest. If they know that she was a witness then they would be looking to silence her regardless of the actions of the police and prosecutor. It may be it has taken X many days to track down where she lives or works. Perhaps show some of the lengths the villains have gone through to find her.
    He already knows [whatever] won't work for...reasons.