HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

How Soon is Now?

Hello, hope everyone's writing and publishing goals are going well.

I had a question about response times from publishers. I had a small publisher agree via e-mail to publish my novella. They are legit, made sure of that. The original e-mail said they would contact me in 20 business days with the contract and assign me an editor to work with. They said they want to have the book on the market by Spring 2017.

Well, it has been 40 business days and they still have not contacted me. I have e-mailed them four times and they have responded. They have my novella listed under their upcoming titles section on their website, so I'm assuming eventually they are planning on publishing it. I've published several short stories and flash fiction in literary journals, but this is the first time to publish a book, so I'm a little nervous about how long it is taking.

Also, since the time they agreed to publish my novella I have completed the third draft of another one and I'm ready to start submitting it. I don't have an agent as of yet, but I was thinking about going that route this time.

Is that considered bad form to submit to agents when you tentatively have a contract with a publisher for another book? I'm not happy with their slow response time, but I would hate to think I'm ruining my chances of publishing with them again be seeking out an agent rather than submitting my second novella with them.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

Rogue Mutt
    I should think you're free to get an agent whenever you want. Seems odd to list the book on their upcoming titles and not have anyone actually working on it yet.

Thanks for the reply Rogue. Yeah, I think it is pretty strange too. I'm ready to get started, but all I'm hearing from them is crickets.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenbhow@yahoo.com View Post
    Well, it has been 40 business days and they still have not contacted me. I have e-mailed them four times and they have [not?] responded.
    Use the phone. Call the person who signed your contract.

I've been holding off calling them since I live in Japan and they are in Canada. I doubt they accept collect calls from authors they haven't actually signed a contract with yet. They sent me an e-mail saying they wanted to publish my novella and a promise to send a contract in 20 business days. That was over 40 business days ago. I don't know if "glacial" is the norm in the publishing industry or not, but it is pretty frustating.

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenbhow@yahoo.com View Post
    I've been holding off calling them since I live in Japan and they are in Canada. I doubt they accept collect calls from authors they haven't actually signed a contract with yet.
    You should get Vonage. Or a calling card or something.

Thanks for all the comments and advice. I contacted a couple of the authors that have been published by Urbanfarmouse Press. They are very slow in responding, possibly due to their small size, but they are not a scam. They pay their authors their royalties and eventually do what they promise. Big relief for me.

Rogue Mutt
    As long as they don't take too long to get the book out and send you checks, right?