HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is it possible for this character's plan to work in this scenario?

For my story, this character wants to stage a break in, at her house, and have the police investigate it, as part of her plan.

However, she wants a certain cop particularly, to come to to investigate the break in. This is where I am kind of lost, as I am not sure how she can lure this particular one there. It has to be on a particular night as well, so I am not sure if he is on duty, but I guess it could be a 50 percent change he could be, or close to 50?

Is their a way she can get a particular cop to check it out. She knows him from before cause he took her statement. She is a witness in a case, and she wants to stage a break in at her house, making it seem like the gang she is testifying against are after her.

But is their a way to lure the particular cop to the house, and make it appear, like he responding routinely, at least in his mind, as part of her plan?

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it.

What is the officers job? Is he a regular officer or a detective? If he is a regular officer then he might come for a 911 call if the woman lives in his patrol area, but anything else involving the woman is not his duty. If he is a detective and the gang case is his, he will come once he is informed of the woman being a victim of the break-in. I'm thinking of this in terms of a large city. If this is in a small town with a police force of 10 then the officer could investigate the break-in. Hope this helps.
    K.S. Crooks - Dreamer and Author
    http://www.kscrooks.com

It this the old story you were unable to write and gave up on, or a new story you can't figure out how to write?

It's the same story, I just rewrote a lot and changed a lot around and started over.

Quote Originally Posted by K.S. Crooks View Post
    What is the officers job? Is he a regular officer or a detective? If he is a regular officer then he might come for a 911 call if the woman lives in his patrol area, but anything else involving the woman is not his duty. If he is a detective and the gang case is his, he will come once he is informed of the woman being a victim of the break-in. I'm thinking of this in terms of a large city. If this is in a small town with a police force of 10 then the officer could investigate the break-in. Hope this helps.
    Well I am not sure if he is a regular or a detective yet. He can be either, depending on what serves the story best.

Earlier in the story, he was working the streets, doing his job, in other duties, and he stumbles across a kidnapping accidentally. He saves the woman, and manages to arrest one of the kidnappers but the rest get away. So she feels the others may be after her, hence why she stages her own break in to attempt to get police protection.

But would the cop who rescued her come specifically, if her place was broken into, instead of just leaving it up to other guys who are closer and more available? He's not on the case as a detective, he just stumbled upon it and rescued her, weeks before. The kidnapping case, was already handled by other detectives, and he just happened to stumble upon it, while on other duties. So wouldn't the detectives still be the previous ones, or he can he somehow take over for the time being?
    Last edited by ironpony; 04-02-2016 at 06:00 AM.

Rogue Mutt
    If the cop has a relationship to her like an old flame or a friend of the family then she could just call him or go to him directly.

And why this sensible idea won't work in 3...2...1...

First of all, can you please learn the difference between "there" and "their". Every one of your posts has the wrong one in. It's driving me batty!

Other than that, I have nothing much to add. I just wanted to vent!

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbi V View Post
    First of all, can you please learn the difference between "there" and "their". Every one of your posts has the wrong one in. It's driving me batty!

Other than that, I have nothing much to add. I just wanted to vent!
    I've told him that a couple of times. I think at this point it's a lost cause.

Quote Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
    Well I am not sure if he is a regular or a detective yet. He can be either, depending on what serves the story best.

But would the cop who rescued her come specifically, if her place was broken into, instead of just leaving it up to other guys who are closer and more available? He's not on the case as a detective, he just stumbled upon it and rescued her, weeks before. The kidnapping case, was already handled by other detectives, and he just happened to stumble upon it, while on other duties. So wouldn't the detectives still be the previous ones, or he can he somehow take over for the time being?
    First decide upon the life and role of your characters. The officer would only know about the break in if he is contacted by the woman or needed in an official duty. Perhaps you could create a background for the officer that makes him care about the kidnapping more than other people or a connection for the woman that he gives her his work number to be contacted for any help. It feels like you trying to write the middle of the story without knowing who your character are as people. Determining who your characters are before they meet would help you establish a believable connection between them.
    K.S. Crooks - Dreamer and Author
    http://www.kscrooks.com

Okay thanks. What if I wrote it so that the story takes place in a much quicker time frame so the situation is more desperate. What if the woman was subpoenaed to testify against her captures the night before the deposition, in court. Right after being subpoenaed, she pleads with the cop, talking him into watching her, if only for a few hours, since the deposition is the next day, and the kidnappers are therefore, more desperate to stop her from testifying likely.

Would this work better?

Quote Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
    Okay thanks. What if I wrote it so that the story takes place in a much quicker time frame so the situation is more desperate. What if the woman was subpoenaed to testify against her captures the night before the deposition, in court. Right after being subpoenaed, she pleads with the cop, talking him into watching her, if only for a few hours, since the deposition is the next day, and the kidnappers are therefore, more desperate to stop her from testifying likely.

Would this work better?
    This is what would work. What if you stopped asking incessant questions and made some decisions for yourself? Your threads and questions are relentless and whilst it is not a bad thing to ask questions to help you through, I get the feeling that you are simply delaying the actual writing of this for reasons only you know.

At times, it seems like some kind of prank. You are never happy to let any suggestions end there... you keep coming up with more and more "what ifs".

This book has to be YOURS. And you have to make the decisions yourself.

Just my opinion. Feel free to ignore me.

DV