HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What would my protagonist do in this scenario do you think?

In my story, it's a thriller where the MC, a cop, uses unorthodox methods to catch a gang of crooks.

He has found out who the leader of the gang is possibly, by hacking into the personal information of a lawyer he hired to defend one of the others. After hacking into the lawyer's info, he finds out the leader's identity, and then starts tailing him for weeks to see what crime he may commit next.

He is following him and watching him meet up with the others from afar with binoculars. As he is watching them from afar, he sees the gang leader murder another person.

He cannot stop it in time cause he is too far away. Now if he chooses to go after the leader and arrest him, according to lawyers I researched info from for the story, they said that his testimony will be inadmissible in court, because a cop cannot testify to someone's identity, if the identity was obtained through the commission of a crime, in this casing, hacking.

So if he says he saw a murder, and they ask him who the killer he saw was, if he says how he knows him through hacking, the evidence is then tainted and inadmissible, since the leader's fourth amendment rights were violated to discover his identity as evidence, through the hacking.

So since he cannot tell the police how he found out the leader's identity without his testimony becoming inadmissible, what would his next move likely be, after failing to stop the murder in time?

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

Rogue Mutt
    Gee he could just not mention the hacking. Why don't you go ask the cops you talked to last time?
    Last edited by Rogue Mutt; 03-29-2016 at 12:10 PM.

Well maybe not this time. It depends on what he would do as a response to the legality.

This may not suit your story line, but there's nothing--legal or otherwise--to prevent your MC from calling an anonymous tip line and unloading the details of the murder and murderer, without revealing his own identity or sources. Even if he's unable to testify, he can sure put other cops on the trail.

Okay thanks for the idea. I thought of this already though and asked a cop. He said that if the police receive an anonymous tip, it's not enough to get warrants, to investigate the person, if the person was never a suspect before, or never heard of in any of the related crimes. The person does not even have a record. They can ask the person questions, but they cannot get a warrant to search his property or tap his phone, based on an anonymous tip. So the investigation would be very limited therefore though.

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
    Okay thanks for the idea. I thought of this already though and asked a cop. He said that if the police receive an anonymous tip, it's not enough to get warrants, to investigate the person, if the person was never a suspect before, or never heard of in any of the related crimes. The person does not even have a record. They can ask the person questions, but they cannot get a warrant to search his property or tap his phone, based on an anonymous tip. So the investigation would be very limited therefore though.
    Of course you did. Hahaha.

Your character is morally ambiguous enough to do something illegal (hack) in order to get the information in the first place. That opens you up to all sorts of possibilities.

That's true, but I am not sure what he would do next. If I am not sure, what then? My first thoughts were that he would falsify evidence to pin the murder on him. But the murder has already been committed and will become a crime scene soon. Once it does, he will not be able to falsify any evidence to link the dead body to the villain, since the crime scene will be closed off to him, from being able to plant anything, unnoticed.

So in order to falsify evidence, the MC would have to move the body from the crime scene, so he can do with it, whatever it takes to link it to the villain, such as planting it on his property, then coming up with plan to arrange for the police to be there. Although the investigators would be able to tell it was moved, so they would have to believe, that the villain moved it himself.

But is it worth moving a body from a crime scene to pin it on someone, rather than hoping the crime investigators can find something to link the murder to the villain, originally?

Rogue Mutt
    You really think cops can't tamper with evidence after the fact? HAHAHA

I'm sure they can but when the evidence is recorded and those records are stored on databases around the country, how do you change every database?