HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Rogue Mutt
    You can always have the villain accidentally incriminate himself. Like he has the cop at his mercy and brags about it while the cop is wearing a wire or has his cell phone on or something.

The problem you face is that no one can write your story for you because no one knows it as intimately as you. And no one is privy to your intent in the way you are.

Ernest Hemingway hit the ball out of the park when he said, "“They can’t yank a novelist the way they can a pitcher. A novelist has to go the full nine, even if it kills him.”

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greenstein View Post
    Ernest Hemingway hit the ball out of the park when he said, "“They can’t yank a novelist the way they can a pitcher. A novelist has to go the full nine, even if it kills him.”
    You used that one already. And as I said before, he's not writing a novel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mutt View Post
    You can always have the villain accidentally incriminate himself. Like he has the cop at his mercy and brags about it while the cop is wearing a wire or has his cell phone on or something.
    Okay thanks. I looked it up though, and the police are not allowed to record conversations without a warrant, even if they are part of the conversation, at least that's what the cops told me where I live.

So with that in mind, the cops would not be able to get a warrant to record on him, on the basis that he might be stupid enough to incriminate himself. No judge would sign off on that I don't think.

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
    Okay thanks. I looked it up though, and the police are not allowed to record conversations without a warrant, even if they are part of the conversation, at least that's what the cops told me where I live.

So with that in mind, the cops would not be able to get a warrant to record on him, on the basis that he might be stupid enough to incriminate himself. No judge would sign off on that I don't think.
    You're thinking of phone taps, which is not applicable to this situation. Cops use informants wearing wires all the time. Uniformed police have cameras in their cars and many now on their uniforms. You should go find a retired cop to talk to. Or find some memoirs in your library. Or maybe try Ed McBains 87th precinct novels. A lot of them are really old but there are probably newer ones. At least watch some Law and Order or The Wire or something.

But I asked real cops, and they said that it doesn't matter what the recording device is, even if a cop uses hidden cellphone with the recorder on, they still need a warrant, at least that's what they said.

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
    But I asked real cops, and they said that it doesn't matter what the recording device is, even if a cop uses hidden cellphone with the recorder on, they still need a warrant, at least that's what they said.
    If you asked real cops then why are you here asking a bunch of writers?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mutt View Post
    If you asked real cops then why are you here asking a bunch of writers?
    Read the book, Games People Play. The answer is there. You'll even find your game.

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greenstein View Post
    Read the book, Games People Play. The answer is there. You'll even find your game.
    I'd just like to hear him admit it.

Yeah I think I should start over. Here is the thing with my story. Basically the MC wants to take the law into his own hands and fabricate evidence against the villain, cause the villain got away with murder.

However, how long would a cop character have to wait before resorting to that method. If he is caught, it means being fired for sure, and probable jail time for doing so. So how long would he have to wait before getting that desperate, for a case to turn up no concrete evidence?

Basically the longer he waits, the more chances of fabricating evidence will dry up. But if he does it to soon, it's not believable that he would take that risk, cause he didn't wait long enough to see what the police would turn up.

So how long would he have to wait to make his motivation plausible?