HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Post My first writing, non-fiction (memoirs)

I am trying to get a link posted, so here it is:

Link for the chapter: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4j...ew?usp=sharing

Any critique is appreciated.

Thanks !

Rogue Mutt
    You're starting with Chapter 6?

No, I chose that one because I thought looked more interesting. Wrote 9 chapters so far, first draft.

Quote Originally Posted by ciordan View Post
    No, I chose that one because I thought looked more interesting.
    You want Chapter 1 to be as interesting as what follows (if not more so), else your readers might not get to Chapter 6.

Smile Interesting story

Hello from the States. I enjoyed reading about your adventures in Greece and Turkey. It certainly was an interesting time. Your story is compelling and I am glad to hear you were not injured.

I noticed some head-hopping or point of view shifts in the narrative so you'll want to edit and fix that. I also noticed some grammatical errors with tense. May I assume English is not your first language? English is a very confusing and difficult language even for those of us who grow up speaking it. I think your efforts and vocabulary are commendable.

I noticed areas where you could tighten your narrative. Often taking out filler words makes your prose more easily understandable.

Again, you have an interesting story to tell and once your narrative is complete, I believe you would benefit from working with an editor to help you with the grammar.
    Best of luck!

Hi G-Girl, and hello from Barcelona, Spain.

Thank you for your input, is much appreciated. You are right, English is not my first language and I didn't do enough literature reading in English. I am a computer programmer by trade and as Jay Greenstein noticed, my story looks more like a report.
    I have a problem with my narrative, and that is about the characters. You see, everything that I write has happened for real, the story is real to the smallest detail.
    However, my problem is with the characters.

How creative should I allow myself to be with the characters' feelings and emotions and still keep the non-fiction status of my story?
    Any advice from anyone would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hello again. Memoirs are not my area but, as conventional wisdom suggests, reading well-reviewed memoirs and studying their technique may give you some insights. Also, Writer's Digest.com, has several video tutorials on memoir writing. They are a little expensive but if this is your passion, it may be worth the investment.
    Best, C-Girl.