HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Blurb

DaBlaRR

My Blurb

Here's my Blurb. I have a hell of a time doing summaries let alone blurbs. Please critique please and thanks....

When a string of endless problems bring seventeen year old Christian Xavier Solomon and his terminally ill mother to Black Pillar Island, he finds solace when he meets others like him. His plans to start afresh in this new town quickly fall apart when good intentions manifest into a gang mentality among his new band of brothers. Spiralled into a world of drugs, murder and death, Christian must learn how to navigate his new life if he is to survive. Could rekindling a relationship with an old flame turn it all around? Or will a chance meeting with a mysterious stranger open a door of dark secrets that could push Christian over the edge?

Rogue Mutt
    Seventeen-year-old Christian Solomon comes to Black Pillar Island hoping to start a new life, but soon he spirals into a world of drugs and murder. Then a mysterious stranger threatens to push Christian over the edge. Can he find a way out before it's too late?

DaBlaRR
    Thanks Mutt.

Is a blurb that short ok to put on the back of a cover?

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBlaRR View Post
    Thanks Mutt.

Is a blurb that short ok to put on the back of a cover?
    It's your book; it can be as long or short as you want it.

DaBlaRR
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mutt View Post
    It's your book; it can be as long or short as you want it.
    No **** dude. But if I wanted to do what I think I want to do I wouldn't be asking... so this is where opinion matters. I'm not asking for professional references. Hence why I'm posting on the forum.. for input, opinions, and such.

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBlaRR View Post
    No **** dude. But if I wanted to do what I think I want to do I wouldn't be asking... so this is where opinion matters. I'm not asking for professional references. Hence why I'm posting on the forum.. for input, opinions, and such.
    No need to get upset. There's no magic formula for how long or short the back cover material is. You know the book a lot better than I do, so you might know some other points that could be added to make it longer. This thread has some information snagged from Greenstein's buddy Swain that might help you.

DaBlaRR
    Ha. Upset? Lol. Wasn't upset

When a string of endless problems bring seventeen year old Christian Xavier Solomon and his terminally ill mother to Black Pillar Island, he finds solace when he meets others like him.
    Think of thew ay a reader who has no context but what the words suggest to them will get: Undefined problems made him move but the problems ease in an undefined way when the protagonist meets other people who have something in common.

How much would that make you say, "Damn, I have to know more!"

That aside, drop "endless." "A string of problems," says the same thing.
    His plans to start afresh in this new town
    Meaningless if we don't know why he needs a fresh start, and what he's doing to change.
    good intentions manifest into a gang mentality among his new band of brothers.
    This is meaningful to you, because you have context. But we don't know the place, the people, or the situation. Are these good people who go bad, or was he mislead by his expectations top see them as other then what they are? No way to tell.

It appears you're trying the "two sentences, one declaring the problem and the other a question he must resolve. That's a good approach to see if you have a viable story, but as a blurb foundation I'm not wild about it. But that's me. Some people favor it.

In this case, it's confusing. It appears that our protagonist comes with baggage, but then, the people he falls in with are bad for him. So maybe he'll fall in love and forget the bad stuff, or maybe an undefined person will release undefined data that will in some unknown way be bad, which might, or might not, make him do something unknown but bad.

And I know that wasn't your intent, but your self guiding trail was missing some markers, so instead of taking your intended meaning, i took what the words suggested to me.

I really wish I had better news, but that is the way it hit me.