HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

CAPS or no caps?

In my latest story my MC receives an e-mail that sets the story in motion.

My intent is having those words stand apart from the narration and other dialogue so Iím considering using all capital letters.

Any thoughts on the subject would be deeply appreciated.

Musk

Rogue Mutt
    Reading all caps can be annoying, especially if it's a long email. If you want it to stand out, you can always use italics.

I agree with Rogue. Reading all caps is very difficult for me, and I nearly always skip over forum posts that have them. If you want it to stand out, you can indent the e-mail like you would a long quote in a research paper and/or use italics. I've seen both of these methods used in books, and they are very effective. If it's a really long e-mail (like several paragraphs or longer), though, you may want to consider not using italics, as that can also get annoying to read.
    "Don't try to control the reader, just help them along." -- my mom

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by Elven Candy View Post
    I agree with Rogue. Reading all caps is very difficult for me, and I nearly always skip over forum posts that have them. If you want it to stand out, you can indent the e-mail like you would a long quote in a research paper and/or use italics. I've seen both of these methods used in books, and they are very effective. If it's a really long e-mail (like several paragraphs or longer), though, you may want to consider not using italics, as that can also get annoying to read.
    I agree that block quotes are a good idea if it's a long email.

Caps are always a bad idea because it gives the impression of shouting. That email should read, for the reader, as it reads for the protagonist.

Something else to think about: The reader is hoping to be entertained. And that reader, if you've done your work well, has an empathetic connection to the protagonist, and is in that character's viewpoint. If so, they will react to the missive as the protagonist does, and all is well. But if you haven't established that emotional link, for the words will have no emotional content till you give it some, and that risks knocking the reader out of the story because they're seeking to be entertained, not informed.

So if you begin with the letter, think about either opening earlier, to place the reader into the protagonist's viewpoint, or have the protagonist mentally sum up the letter as it has meaning to him/her—the salient points as your character understands them instead of providing the text.

Thanks for all your comments.

Thw e-mail isn't long and is only referenced in the first page but is the reason my MC returns home unexpectedly.

emails I would indent contents and italicize, also bold the subject matter

recently we did a few stories with lots of texts between characters

we indented with italiics and put -- before and after -- to indicate text message
    I created this FREE EBOOKS FORUM TOOL to help Authors hit the top of Twitter using one of my major KLOUT accounts on Twitter It's at FREE EBOOKS FORUM TO HELP AUTHORS Put your Genre in header of post within an hour you will be top of twitter for that Genre

Somehow, seeing messages in all caps irks me, and I bet most people feel the same way towards that as well.

That being said, indenting and italicizing the e-mail message would definitely be the best thing to do.

I will prefer to read without caps. I find reading with caps annoying.
    For God so loves the world He gives His one and only son Jesus that whoever believes in Jesus shall not perish but has eternal life. John 3:16