HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

What should my villain's plan be in this case for his goal to work?

In my story, there is a group of people who are have poor social skills because of their conditions while growing up. Conditions that would prohibit them from developing relationships with people and also romantic relationships of the opposite sex. This causes them to suffer from their involuntary celibacy, and they form a group of crooks who decide to do something about it to teach society a lesson so to speak. However, I am wondering what they could to make society listen.

My original idea, was to have them kidnap and rape victims of the opposite sex, videotape it, and then broadcast it over the net, for all the public to see while making their demands. The videos would be made to be untraceable by them of course. They could also kill the victims as well, or let them go, without them knowing who kidnapped them, since they were wearing masks and gloves the whole time.

However I showed an earlier draft to readers before, and they said they did not understand how the villain's way of teaching society a lesson would really work. It's not a solution they said. Basically I was told that they need an M.O., that makes more sense. So I was wondering what could they do instead, that would teach society a lesson, and actually create change?

One writer I asked about it said that they should threaten to kill one of their hostages or more, unless the government passes certain laws that would meet their demands. However, this didn't really seem like it would to me, as you cannot pass a law that would actually get society to behave a certain way. You can only change society by making them feel a certain way, not by passing laws. Plus I don't think the government would do it, even if people's lives were at steak.

One idea I have is that maybe the gang should just kidnap victims, but not rape or kill them at all, and maybe just psychologically terrorize them in front of a camera, for the public to see, then they state their demands, and then release the victims. That way they are using a less aggressive approach. Still very aggressive, just not near as, in comparison. This will either get society to listen more, or it will not be enough, and they would still have to take more extreme measures.

But what do you think? I am curious as to what approach I should take with these types of villains, when it comes to giving them an M.O. that would make more sense in achieving their goals for the reader. What do you think?

Also, another question I wanted to ask is, how can my villain's weakness or goal, be used against him by the police?

I wanted the police to use their own need against them

I thought of a few, in the past, but I was told by other writers and readers that it made the villains look stupid, that they would fall for such tricks, when they were smart enough to cover their tracks on all his crimes in the first place. I was just looking for suggestions, if there is any way to exploit that weakness, without the villains having to become stupid to fall for it, if that makes sense.

Thank you for the input and advice. I greatly appreciate it.

Rogue Mutt
    Yeah I don't see how killing and raping people teaches society a lesson except that the villains are evil.

What sort of "conditions" caused this group to be socially awkward? Were they severely bullied in school, by parents, or siblings? Are they a bunch of "nerds" who aren't very attractive but are quite smart and a little demented? Were they sent to an abusive private school that was boys/girls only? Were they disliked by their peers because they always had this evil in them and it caused the rejection they're living with (thus, they created their own problem)? I grew up socially awkward in large part because I'm shy, and I'm by no means a villain (as far as you know, muahahahaha!). Also, what sort of changes does this group want the world to have? What "lessons" do they want to teach? Is kidnapping a major plot for your story, or would them starting a brainwashing cult work? As for the police trapping them, maybe you can study some old real police files or watch videos that talk about how they caught the bad guys. Remember, even villains can make mistakes!

Each member of the group would have a different condition. One might have cerebral palsy, another might have a disfigured face, etc. Basically they want to teach society how they have judged them, into becoming monsters. That's the goal, but not sure on what the M.O. should be, to achieve their goal, which is society recognition, for how they have been treated.

As for how they go about it, yes one of the kidnapping is central to the plot, so I would like it be done through kidnapping, to teach society a lesson, if possible.

As for villains making mistakes, I have researched real life cases, but the mistakes that the villains make are too easy in all of them, and not very climatic as a result. I would like my villain to have his own theme used against him, cause I think that would be more dramatic, rather than them accidentally leaving a clue behind, that gets them caught.

Rogue Mutt
    Kidnapping is usually done to make money through ransom. It doesn't "teach society a lesson." At best they can use it as publicity to attract others to their cause...whatever it is.

Figuring out their M.O. will help you greatly in the story, I think, since it's so central to the plot. It could also help you figure out the kidnapping bit. This isn't the sort of story I read or write, so I'm unsure what sort of "lesson" they could teach society by kidnapping people. I'm afraid I'm not much help to you there!

As for what destroys them, you could make it that they accidentally destroy themselves and the police just find the end result. Sort of a "being consumed by hate will destroy you" sort of theme. Just a thought.

I think it would be a much better and more powerful story for these "villains" (they aren't real villains until they do some of the things you suggest) to overcome whatever society has inflicted on them. It is always the weak crybabies who try to change others through intimidation. It is strong adults who change themselves and conquer in spite of the deck stacked against them. I think showing different ways of triumphing over whatever their difficulties influences society as a whole way more than the things you mention.

So a guy has a scarred face, but he's a talented teacher and his students love him and no longer notice the disfigurement. So another has cerebral palsy, but she's a talented writer, and her books are a balm to the hurting and bring strength to the unloved. I think showing them developing their individual talents to help people, and then getting recognized and honored for it, perhaps by some of the very people who rejected them when they were young, is a way better book. Society notices extraordinary people like that, and it makes people think, "If that person who had so much against him at the start can do so much good, why can't I? What can I do?"

That's how you change society.