HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: eBook Sales

eBook Sales

I got a few eBook on Amazon. Free giveaway did okay (I think, since it's my first time ever doing it) but sold nothing thus far. Not plan on being the next Grisham or Patterson but one actual sales would have been nice!

I'm curious from all you established writers, which months do you find are your best? I know the figures will vary according to the genre and the number of books you have out. I'm just being nosy.

Also, Smashwords: Yes or No?

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by Writers Choice View Post
    I got a few eBook on Amazon. Free giveaway did okay (I think, since it's my first time ever doing it) but sold nothing thus far. Not plan on being the next Grisham or Patterson but one actual sales would have been nice!

I'm curious from all you established writers, which months do you find are your best? I know the figures will vary according to the genre and the number of books you have out. I'm just being nosy.

Also, Smashwords: Yes or No?
    I've never found Smashwords, Draft2Digital, or B&N to be very helpful sales-wise. Probably 95% of mine come from Amazon and about half the money comes from Kindle Unlimited reads. The best strategy I've seen for regular books is once you have three to get the first one free, which is about as hard as writing the books. So basically just go write some other books. This free book has some advice, though the actual plan again involves having several books written.

If you post on Smashwords your work is offered on B&N, the Apple Store, and several others. The cost to put it up is identical to Amazon, and you're offering it in ePub format, which opens another market.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mutt View Post
    I've never found Smashwords, Draft2Digital, or B&N to be very helpful sales-wise. Probably 95% of mine come from Amazon and about half the money comes from Kindle Unlimited reads. The best strategy I've seen for regular books is once you have three to get the first one free, which is about as hard as writing the books. So basically just go write some other books. This free book has some advice, though the actual plan again involves having several books written.
    I heard the same from various forum. Most people find that Amazon is the best source for indie authors writing eBook. One author even said she stopped doing hardcover because she would sell one of those to every 20 eBook (and the harcover/softcover cost more to produce).

I read one of your books in KU - it's completely different from anything I have ever read. I originally thought you had the chapters mixed up, then realized you did it on purpose - would never thought about going backwards. Do you by chance know who your biggest customers are for your area? I ask because if half your money comes from KU, then YIKES - you're doing something right.

I only got like a dozen downloads from KU.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greenstein View Post
    If you post on Smashwords your work is offered on B&N, the Apple Store, and several others. The cost to put it up is identical to Amazon, and you're offering it in ePub format, which opens another market.
    I only have it on Amazon right now. KU numbers are pretty dismal so I am considering opting out of it so I can expand. Smashwords seemed like the best option since they distribute to many others. Do you have yours on any other site? I downloaded one of your eBook in KU but didn't even bother looking for it anywhere else.

Being on Smashwords also places you on Kobo and Overdrive, but they're not significant.

Something to take into account. Because you're self published, only you can steer people to your work, after you fall off the new offerings list (unless your numbers from that were significant). And when people get to your page, it's your sample that will cause them to push the buy button. So if sales aren't coming it may be that you're not hooking the reader in the first three pages. That's why, if your query failed that test in the publisher's office, it's not likely that you'll have a self published best seller.

If you've not made a study of what publishers view as publishable writing, it might pay you to invest a few hours and dollars to be sure you're not missing anything important.

You might also want to post a few pages here, for an estimate of that, or at least link to your Amazon page.
    Last edited by Jay Greenstein; 12-01-2015 at 11:55 AM.

Amazon is a sewer of pulp that 90% of it shouldn't even be published. It is garbage.

The rest of the self pubs are no better.

What sells in books (and now eBooks account for 70% of unit sales) is well written books with good promotion.

Before Amazon created Kindle they sold books, lots of books and most if not virtually all were 'published' that means a publisher paid an author for rights to print the work.

Now eBooks are not new and Amazon didn't invent the concept but they sure did create a monopoly on eBooks.

Well before Jeff Bezos knew what an eBook was (and yes I had direct emails with him around 1997 on the topic in which he said Dr. Adoni what is an eBook exactly), some were creating and selling EBOOKS such as myself.

We did it with websites and we had merchant accounts and gateways and later paypal was added into the mix and some of us SOLD LOTS OF EBOOKS. Our sales came from our ability to nail our keywords in the old days of SEO and also for our ability to get on talk radio, mentioned in major media, etc.

So all the traffic 20 years ago went to our sites .com

Now the past 7 or so years saw Indie Authors fill up Zon with more ****e than Zon can even sell, so now almost no new authors have traction in sales without outside PROMOTION, stuff like BookBub can do wonders for an unknown. So does what we did over 20 years ago, nail our SEO terms, get authors on talk radio and mentioned in local and national media.

PROMOTION is and always was the name of the game.

Now for a very short time Zon ran a great new pyramid scam for self publishing that had a relatively FEW new authors with no promotion over than Zon and a decent catalog of several titles do some okay numbers in book sales. Almost none of the early Zon home runs in Self Pub have crossed over into main stream publishing and done anything with taking a series or title into major films or TV.

So to me the whole Zon self pub thing was and is more hype than substance and at this stage in the game, any author needs to just write and write and build a catalog and try to get an agent and try to get into traditional publishing and while they are trying, sure put the work on Zon and others, do not use Select and if you can get on Bookbub it may work for a new author quite well IF they have lots of work in a catalog or back list.

As far as Zon, you have a great synopsis and intro and then an index and then you stuff it with lots of FULL PAGE COVERS with links TO YOUR SITE to sell your other work. So readers never get even one page for FREE, it's all promotional fluff to lure a BUY.

You have a hot cover, a title page, a few reviews, a synopsis an intro and then an index show how deep the books is and then page after page OF YOU WORK, full page ads with beautiful covers.

That shows a potential new fan, you are a real AUTHOR since you have a site with lots of your WORK on it to sell.

So THEY BUY.

Now what this does is it pushes Zon's traffic TO YOUR SITE so you can keep 100% of the sales.

It forces Zon's users to BUY to get to your work.

You sell a new reader on the concept of the book in the Synopsis and the reviews and the index page.

They want more PAY FOR IT.

In between the sales job in the front and the content in the later area of the book you have all your Zon spam, full pages of cover after cover with links to YOUR SITE.

All you need is a website to sell a book, get a .com and a free download of wordpress and make one with a free cart like woo then tie all your social media to it, all your community posts like forums and all your work as well as all your promo material in Zon editions to YOUR BRAND that is your pen name .com

Once you learn how to not give away your work, you will start to SELL IT.

The more you charge for your words the more a reader respects your work.

FREE eBooks, why?

It's 2016 and Zon has millions of bs junk titles on Zon parading as books.

The way you get traction is by PROMOTION and the old 1 trick pony named Select is done, it needs to be sent to the glue factory, it does not work in 2016.

So now bust your butt writing and promoting the old fashioned way, get on media's radar get on local and then national talk shows, so podcasts and guest blogs and whatever you can to PROMOTE YOUR WORK.

All Zon will do is lump with their sewer of waste the 90% of eBooks in Select that are so bad it hurts your eyes to read the junk.

SELL YOUR BOOKS

SELL YOUR BOOKS

SELL YOUR BOOKS

Now where does Zon come into those 3 lines?
    I created this FREE EBOOKS FORUM TOOL to help Authors hit the top of Twitter using one of my major KLOUT accounts on Twitter It's at FREE EBOOKS FORUM TO HELP AUTHORS Put your Genre in header of post within an hour you will be top of twitter for that Genre

Okay, you start out saying that the vast majority of work out there is crap. But then you slide into "But we can sell your crap, so give us your business.

Cut the crap and show the results of your wonderful skills with real titles and real sales numbers. Point to a few bestsellers i can see on Amazon. And please don't try to tell us that the people who are buying into your plan don't also post the same stories on Amazon and other booksellers.

Point us to real reviews lof your product by the pros. Point us to real authors, by name. And point us to some of those author pages where we can read, and see the quality of the workmanship.

Facts, not hype.