HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Series (Yes or NO)

Okay all you experienced published writers, question for you. Series - good or bad?

I read somewhere that people are turned off by series and hate cliffhangers.
    I also read that series is a great way to find loyal readers and increase your base.

Since everything we read on the internet is 100% accurate I'm confused. What are your thoughts and personal experience??

Thanks/

Rogue Mutt
    From my experience series are good. The thing is, once you get three or more books you can make the first one free and then you'll get some people who will buy the other books in the series. Though getting Amazon to make your book free is the real challenge; first you have to make it free somewhere else using Smashwords or Draft2Digital or another platform and then maybe eventually Amazon will match.

Well, I was thinking the same thing. Make the first one free for a few days while start a countdown on part II - of course, with Amazon.

I decided to stick with only Amazon for right now, since I heard the sells on the other sites are dismal for first time authors.

Rogue Mutt
    Sales on other sites aren't that good but the point is to make the first one permanently free once you have other books.

Rogue Mutt
    BTW, when you get a couple of books written, you might want to read this free book on Amazon.

I don't think there'd be so many series out there if they were a bad thing, and I don't think they'd contain so many cliffhangers if those were bad either.