HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Aizza View Post
    OHk so that can be understood but I have no patience for waiting for years
    If you decided to become a professional engineer it would take four years of study after high school to become a beginner on the job. Were you to choose medicine, it would be premed, medical school, and then residency before you could call yourself a doctor. It's seven years before you're a baby lawyer. There is no profession I'm aware of for which you don't have to, as they say, pay your dues.

Talent isn't a magical free ride—a fairy whispering the right answers in your ear. It's an ability to learn the skills needed more easily than most. But talent must be trained. And like anything else, skill takes time, work, and thought.

Problem is you want to be a writer. Reality is that there is no short cut and no magic. You have to become one. And only after you learn your craft and train what talents you have will you learn if you have the necessary abilities. In the adult world, which is where you'll be competing, your work will have to prove better that everyone else's. Only one out of more than a thousand submitted manuscripts is chosen for a publishing slot, so before you even think of getting into that game of musical chairs, you had better be ready to compete as-a-professional. When you query your competition will include people who have been writing for a decade. It will include published writers. It will include people who took university training in commercial fiction. It will include lots of people who say, "I have a great idea for a story, but they don't count because ideas are easy. Writing well enough to hook the writer and make them want to keep turning pages is what's hard.

In other words, to be a successful writer you must first become one. And unless the prospect of working toward that goal over as much time as it would take to earn the title professional in any other profession is acceptable, you have a nice little hobby. but that's all.

Not good news, I knew. But it is the world we work in.

This advice is solely based on the thing that annoy me from stories like this. To stay away from the Twilight and other monsters with humans type of story:
    1) Make your female human characters intelligent and self-reliant
    2) Don't make your monster characters (vampire, werewolves, etc.) whiny and full of angst. If they have lived for a few hundred years let them act like it. Any teenage behaviours they display should be for show purposes only.
    3) Stay away from love affairs between monsters and humans

For me the only time any of these were done wonderfully was the show Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    K.S. Crooks - Dreamer and Author
    http://www.kscrooks.com

Jay Greenstein's advice is interesting, since I spent five years in college earning my engineering degree. I have yet to utilize my engineering skills to date.

I have worked as a waitress, maid, security guard, accounting clerk, enlisted in the military, finally decided to go to college - earn a degree, worked as a project engineer - more like a PM (not using my engineering skills, but useful to understand what was going on around me) then went back into the Navy. I have all sorts of great experience, that took me years and decades to earn, but no longer pose a challenge - or maybe I'm just tired of it.

Anyway, I decided to give the writing thing a try. I had no idea about self - publishing, etc. In the past 13 months learned more about the writing world than I have my entire life. I may be a professional in many area of my life; but writing is where I am an amateur. It's infuriating, therefore I continue.

My advice, if you have a great idea in your head, write it down - see where it goes. You may surprise yourself at the direction it proceeds as your character's begin to develop. There are hundreds of vampire stories/movies to date. There will be a thousand more in the coming decades; some will make it big, unfortunately, many will not. Regardless of if you love or hate Stephanie Meyers, she made it big.

Far as the location is concerned, you can always make up a fictitious place - even John Grisham admits he doesn't always use real places. If you have your heart set on a real place, then use it - develop your story and go back and change the setting when you are done.

KS. the last two points...that is all what it is about yah the 3rd is kind of important for some basic events or I think quite more and now the bad news is that the main protagonist is a vampire ....
    I was reading Bram stoker's Dracula when the Vampires idea came to me but luckily the vamp isn't telepathic he owns the power of hypnosis and thirsts to rule the green sky land which is where the vamps live for that he has to kill Arthur the present ruler. In Baltimore I could not find a place where I could settle the Greensky land so I had to make an imaginary village near Baltimore named Wavemeet (i hope it's not used before) which is abandoned as its people are say it's haunted by the vamps and no one believes them and if someone tries to investigate of course he doesn't come back, the village is small and no visits it but on most of its land lays the Greensky land. Maria (Female protagonist) has came to Maryland for a journalism course, just the third day she has a cold fight with her ugly taunting roommate and leaves the hotel, the class is given a stay in. She ends up at Wavemeet where the people are shocked to see an outsider, there they provide her a place to spend a night but moving around she finds an odd guy who is one of the many slaves of Zack (the vamp) they are humans who are dead as their blood is sucked up and all they can do following orders as Zack can hypnotize nonliving things too. The man tells her to visit GS land and she even does late at night when everyone is asleep meanwhile the class and the teachers as well as some other people are looking for her when someone says he saw her going to Wavemeet and that it is dangerous. Maria doesn't knows about the vampire rumours nor does the people of WM tell her about it so she doesn't find them odd. At Gsl Zack for some reasons doesn't feel like killing her so he helps her out telling the GSL people kills all trespassers as she goes back everyone is shocked to see her alive and she realizes she has been between vamps and that's how it carries on.
    This was why I had a fear of it being like Twilight.