HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    You have plenty of time to improve. Sheesh, your brain's practically smooth at 11. Keep writing.

How do I have to get rid of this careless attitude?
    That's easy. No one will buy your work, or take you seriously, till you fix the problem. Is that great incentive, or what?

Thomas Edison said, "Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety nine percent perspiration." And he's right. At the moment you love to write. And the story is the thing. But editing and polishing is like doing housework: boring but absolutely necessary, and takes a lot longer than the fun part.

Here's the thing. Your goal isn't to tell the story, it's to entertain the reader. And a reader who is stopping to figure out what you meant is one who's closing the cover.

Think of reading the stories you really like, and how the world turns off, the words vanish, and the story literally lives in your mind, in real-time. That can't happen if the text-to-story processing machine you worked so hard to build in your mind is tripped up with commas in unexpected places, syntax mangled, and other evidence of sloppy workmanship. Hunter Thompson got it right when he said, “Anything worth doing, is worth doing right.”

If you wish to be a storyteller on the page you need to know how to tell stories well, as a reader views that act. You need to know your tools, and how to apply them. You need to know the business side of the profession and how it applies to your writing.

And most of all, if your hope is to follow your passion and make writing your profession, never forget that while a mediocre accountant can make a living, a mediocre writer probably can't. So take this article to heart.

I read it and it was a good one man.
    thanks

Your writing is very good for an 11 year old, who's first language isn't English. It's also nowhere near good enough to be of any interest to agents and publishers.

They don't care how old you are, they won't cut you any slack for your age, and you'll be competing for publication with adults who've been practicing their craft for years.

If your mistakes are purely through carelessness, then that means you can fix them by reading your work through. Reading your work out loud can work to catch some of the most obvious mistakes.
    Despite the 100 out of 100 on whatever test you took, I would guess some of the problems with your writing are carelessness, but some are a lack of knowledge. I saw elsewhere in the forum that you said that you don't have the patience to wait years, but honestly it's going to take years of practice and learning to become good enough to make a career out of writing.
    People who don't have years worth of patience don't have what it takes to forge a writing career.
    People who start working towards a creative career at your age increase their odds of succeeding once they reach adulthood. (My brother and I managed it in the computer games industry)
    But it's going to be a lot of work and even then success is no where near guaranteed, so fiction writing needs to be something you enjoy regardless of if you'll ever make money out of it .

well thanks and it's a special one as you are the only one to say my english is good
    no matter what the reality is, jokes apart I don't care about the age I compare myself from other writers and try to work as hard as that I compete them which I probably can't but its still fun writing and trying to improve because basically I am doing it to earn nor do I have to earn for myself of course :P