HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Book Description and Synopsis

Calling Moderator:

Where can I post the synopsis and the blurb for my book for a critique or help? Is this the correct section?

Thanks/

If you're looking for a critique this would seem to be the spot.
    Last edited by Jay Greenstein; 10-28-2015 at 04:28 AM.

Rogue Mutt
    This is fine since you already posted here. Query Letters could work too since synopses are related to querying. Of course you should already know what Greenstein will tell you. Hahaha

I am having a heck of a time writing the description/synopsis! It's a great deal tougher than the manuscript. I'm lost on how to condense 360 pages into one??

Anyways, I signed up for kindle unlimited today. I thought maybe I can get ideas from other people.

Jay Greenstein - are you the one that wrote the Sisterhood of the ring series? It sounds interesting. I may have to download it.

Query letters follow a generally accepted format (length, structure, etc.), which you should learn.

AgentQuery has several timely forums, along with how-tos.

QueryShark is another crowd favorite (it's maintained by a well-respected lit agent). Be sure to page through the archives.

Thanks, Jayce. I'll check those out.

Rogue Mutt
    I would say what you need to do is to first come up with a one sentence description of what your story is about. Then you just need to figure out what feeds into that. Like for A Christmas Carol you could say it's the story of a miser named Scrooge who is haunted by ghosts to convince him to change his ways. So you'd want to focus on Scrooge doesn't believe in Christmas, he's visited by the ghost of his old partner, then Ghost of Christmas Past, Ghost of Christmas Present, and Ghost of Christmas Future, and then he wakes up and decides to be nice. Because the idea is to focus on just the important stuff if you want to condense 360 pages to 1.

Yes, Sisterhood is one of mine.

Writing a synopsis isn't all that complicated. It's a simple linear progression through the story, told in present tense: This happens...and then that happens...and after that... No dialog, no digression and explaining backstory, just a trot through the story-line.

It's not a sales tool. The agent/editor, having read the first few pages, and concluded that your writing will entice the reader to buy the finished product, wants to know the story progression, to get an idea of the turning points, scene progression, and the richness of the plot.

If you pass that test, they ask for the full manuscript, and when it comes, since they already know you can write, and what the story is, theyll read the last chapter to see if you can handle the climax and tie things off so as to leave the reader saying, "I liked that." (you didn't think they read every chapter, did you?). If you make it through that unscathed, they'll offer a contract, and if you say yes, then, they'll read through, making notes for you to strengthen, trim, etc., to maximize the chance of a sale.

So take a given scene and ask yourself what matters to the plot progression. That's your text. Collect them and boil the length down till the total length fits the size that agent asked for. Do a bit of searching and you'll find lots of examples from work that sold.

Hope this helps