HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    DaBlaRR

Prologue - don't normally like them... but

Ok so my beta reader recently read my last chapter out loud in front of me.

Once we were done, we hung out and I decided to read her poetry I wrote when I was younger.

There was a poem that she totally saw my main character in. She says you need to make that a prologue.

What do you think about that? A very short prologue to foreshadow the book with this dark poem. And making the reader know it was my MC that wrote it. Then start chapter 1. Thoughts?

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBlaRR View Post
    Ok so my beta reader recently read my last chapter out loud in front of me.

Once we were done, we hung out and I decided to read her poetry I wrote when I was younger.

There was a poem that she totally saw my main character in. She says you need to make that a prologue.

What do you think about that? A very short prologue to foreshadow the book with this dark poem. And making the reader know it was my MC that wrote it. Then start chapter 1. Thoughts?
    You can put a poem at the front of the book but don't make it a prologue. Lots of people use quotes or lines of poetry at the start of the book but short prologues never work.

DaBlaRR
    Sounds good. Thanks Mutt.

I see several potential problems. First is that, not having read the book yet, the reader hasn't the context you and the one who suggested making the poem the prologue has, as they read, so it may not hit them in the way you hope.

Then there's the problem that people who don't enjoy a good poem might be put off by it. Remember, while it relates, it doesn't set the scene, develop character, or move the plot, so many people will view it as delaying the arrival of the actual story.

And finally—and not having seen it, this is not a comment on your poetic skills—if it's not good poetry, as the reader views that...

DaBlaRR
    Thanks Jay. I've decided to scrap it.