HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Where to now?

msknight
    Well, the BDSM is different. It's based on experience rather than being outlandish fiction.

But those four books, when they're done, they're done. I move on to sci-fi and fantasy. One sci-fi book is already out there, and you've read the fantasy that I started in January and will pick up in earnest in December once the others are out.

I've been trying to find a way to build a mailing list, and also comply with Can Spam, while not revealing my home address. I'm working on it :-)

Well, so....BDSM to try your literary legs on something familiar after a long hiatus, and sci-fi/fantasy for the market? Will your sci-fi/fantasy have an "adult" bent to it as well?

msknight
    Oh no. I'm aware that there is a market for adult sci-fi, but that's not me. "Check Mate," had some comedy, a little death and some tension as well as the robot going nuts, but the fantasy will likely be non-adult; although if the first book works then I see it spanning a small series and if some of the characters fall in love, that's about as far "adult" as it will go.

Alrighty then. Splendifico.

I think another thing I'm going to start doing on my website is videos. Ours is nothing if not a visual culture, so I plan to start catering to that a bit. It really is amazing how technology has advanced.

You know, I was just reading your White Wizard again. I think you could combine those two chapters into one.

Michelle, I looked at the excerpts for a few of the books, and several, fairly critical things, common to them all, jumped out at me. But this isn't the forum for commenting on writing, and you didn't ask for reactions to the writing. I would strongly suggest two things, though:

• First, post a page or so from one of the stories—an excerpt beginning with page one, for critique.

• Second, before reading the responses, have a nice glass or two of wine, allowed to mellow in the stomach.

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greenstein View Post
    Michelle, I looked at the excerpts for a few of the books, and several, fairly critical things, common to them all, jumped out at me. But this isn't the forum for commenting on writing, and you didn't ask for reactions to the writing. I would strongly suggest two things, though:

• First, post a page or so from one of the stories—an excerpt beginning with page one, for critique.

• Second, before reading the responses, have a nice glass or two of wine, allowed to mellow in the stomach.
    You do realize she already posted chapters and you already gave her your lecture, right? http://www.writers.net/forum/showthr...d-two-chapters

msknight
    Hi Guys,

Sorry for the absence. I've booked myself a table at a convention for two days - if mohamed won't come to the mountain, or something like that. So I've been organising stock, promo materials, stuff to adorn the table, parking, accommodation, and the rest of it.

Heck, even if I don't sell any books, at least I'll get to see the Tim Burton batmobile, the official Game of Thrones throne and also a few people will be there, including Virginia Hey :-) (Farscape! Yay!) - The organiser has also been reading one of my books and likes my easy going writing style; and as he's done a number of years of professional writing for media, I'm taking that as a symbol that there is hope for me yet, as long as I keep my nose at the grindstone.

So ... I'll be taking all your advice and opinion on board when I come to start the re-write in December. Regarding joining the chapters; I'm not sure. Still turning that one over in my head. Among the feedback on the other books, some people like the short chapters because they have small windows to read in, and it helps them delineate things; while others find that too short chapters is disturbing and they can't get a smooth pace. I'm still trying to work out an ideal length for a chapter.

Yes, Jay, I admit the "still to come" section is just an attempt at the jackets for the books that jump in to my head; and they are all over the place. Some comedy, some serious looks in to alternative societies (like the blind story; loads of questions, like, what would the world "look like" to those few who do have sight, when it is built by and for those who are blind.) and there is actually one that has popped in to my head, like Check Mate did; I've been scribbling down the notes as they enter; I just can't stop them. "Light is a wonderful thing. And one of its more amazing properties is how quickly it goes away when you get hit on the head by the hilt of a cutlass." - I should be able to get the main manuscript out of my head before December. Well, I've only got another 20,000 words on To The Grave, and that one's complete as well. Phew!

So ... yeh ... I've been busy :-)

One of the joys of writing is the stories that come, and come, and the fun of defining and recording them. But there is an implied contract between writer and reader. They give us of their time, and perhaps money, too, and we give them something they will view as fair exchange. And like it or not, our work will be judged, not on the story, but on the writing, because story is something we can only evaluate after it takes place, while writing is evaluated as they read. Making it more difficult the writing will be compared to the professional work they've been reading. So either the work reads like professional writing or they walk away before the end of page two. And if they do they will never know how great the plot and the characters are.

Your sincerity and dedication matters not at all to the reader. Only your words, their placement, and what they seem to mean to-the reader matter. So before anything else, make certain you understand how a reader perceives a story, and what they react to. Publishers have been striving to please readers for centuries, so make use of what they've learned. Make the knowledge of an acquiring editor in your genre, yours. Know what they view as a successful scene, and what elements make it up. If you want to be seen as a serious writer, be serious about the acquisition of your writer's education, in addition to your dedication to writing. Knowing what doesn't, and hasn't worked—and why—is every bit as important as knowing does.

In short, you already have the dedication and the love of storytelling. Be certain you have the necessary tools, too.

Rogue Mutt
    Jay's such a wit, ain't he?

Sorry for the absence. I've booked myself a table at a convention for two days - if mohamed won't come to the mountain, or something like that. So I've been organising stock, promo materials, stuff to adorn the table, parking, accommodation, and the rest of it.

Heck, even if I don't sell any books, at least I'll get to see the Tim Burton batmobile, the official Game of Thrones throne and also a few people will be there, including Virginia Hey :-) (Farscape! Yay!) - The organiser has also been reading one of my books and likes my easy going writing style; and as he's done a number of years of professional writing for media, I'm taking that as a symbol that there is hope for me yet, as long as I keep my nose at the grindstone.
    I've never thought my physical presence would help sell any books; it'd probably be the opposite. That does sound like an awesome convention. Have fun!
    Last edited by Rogue Mutt; 09-20-2015 at 05:00 PM.

msknight
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mutt View Post
    Jay's such a wit, ain't he?

I've never thought my physical presence would help sell any books; it'd probably be the opposite. That does sound like an awesome convention. Have fun!
    I think it will in this case, but it will be hard work. I have single page perspex panels with reviewer quotes and quotes from the books; as the difficult thing is getting people to read them. Once they do, feedback has been quite reasonable. Most reviews have been 4 or 5 stars; the occasional 3 from people who took a risk with something outside their interest ... basically, I was so desperate to try and get reviews logged, and reviewer TBR piles are so large, that I ventured outside suitable people.

The Sci-Fi comedy will sell itself off those panels, I'm certain. (well, that and the zombified pink fluffy bunny I'll have on the table as a talking point - long story - About 52,000 words long! Ha! Sorry, seemed an obvious joke at 4:30am) The BDSM story will require undoing the misunderstanding that other fiction has created; so I envisage having the same conversation with people time, after time. All a trick of working out the questions they're going to ask, and rehearsing as few words as possible to get the concepts over.

It will be very hard work, of that I'm certain. And I've got to price them at the right level. 200 books should arrive at the end of the week. priced right, they should sell. If I get it wrong, I'll be bringin' em home. Eeekkk....

Long story is, nothing's gonna do anything if I don't put some effort behind it.