HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: two part novels

Hybrid View

DaBlaRR

two part novels

What are your opinions on this?

As I am on the last leg of my first draft, I have come to a realization that there is a lot of story to tell.

If it was within one time frame, I could make that work. But as I near the end I am realizing, I need a time jump. The only way I can see based on what I'm writing, to make that work, is splitting it in two parts.

You'll probably mention maybe a sequel. I do intend to have a sequel. But my problem with making, what would be the second part a sequel is then I don't have enough to make it two.

Anyways, I would just like some opinions on a book that is just one book, split into two parts.

Secondly, how many words are too many. I know there are epics out there that have a very high word count. But that is not the route I want to go, seeing as this is my first REAL project.

Thirdly, if I was to scratch the idea of two parts... How worried should I be about word count?
    Last edited by DaBlaRR; 07-30-2015 at 06:44 PM.

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBlaRR View Post
    What are your opinions on this?

As I am on the last leg of my first draft, I have come to a realization that there is a lot of story to tell.

If it was within one time frame, I could make that work. But as I near the end I am realizing, I need a time jump. The only way I can see based on what I'm writing, to make that work, is splitting it in two parts.

You'll probably mention maybe a sequel. I do intend to have a sequel. But my problem with making, what would be the second part a sequel is then I don't have enough to make it two.

Anyways, I would just like some opinions on a book that is just one book, split into two parts.

Secondly, how many words are too many. I know there are epics out there that have a very high word count. But that is not the route I want to go, seeing as this is my first REAL project.
    Traditionally you want something between 80-100,000 words. If it's for kids then you could get away with shorter.

I don't like when books make big leaps of time, like when The Cider House Rules jumped forward 15 years. It's kind of disorienting. But smaller jumps aren't usually too bad, so long as there's a point. I read a book recently where the end jumped forward a couple of years for an epilogue that was basically, "Everything is awesome!" That was pretty lame. And there was another that also skipped forward a couple of years at the end and it just kept rambling on with seemingly no end in sight. So try to avoid that.

DaBlaRR
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mutt View Post
    Traditionally you want something between 80-100,000 words. If it's for kids then you could get away with shorter.

I don't like when books make big leaps of time, like when The Cider House Rules jumped forward 15 years. It's kind of disorienting. But smaller jumps aren't usually too bad, so long as there's a point. I read a book recently where the end jumped forward a couple of years for an epilogue that was basically, "Everything is awesome!" That was pretty lame. And there was another that also skipped forward a couple of years at the end and it just kept rambling on with seemingly no end in sight. So try to avoid that.
    Thanks Rogue. Maybe when I work on the second draft, I can do a few gradual time jumps, rather then one big one. What do you think about that idea? But damn it's gonna be hard to keep it under 100k. But there is probably a lot I could cut at the same time.

If you have more story to tell, write it.

When it comes time to edit you might be surprised at how much word count you lose.

I'm not a fan of time jumps, it might make it hard for a reader to follow your story. That being said, it is in the end your story.