HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

My Characters are Real (to me)

In the process of writing my very first novel, I have come to realize that my character's seem so real. They have somehow come alive in my mind as if they really exist. I can see what they look like - physical appearance, how they sound, what they are feeling, their internal struggles, their spouses, kids, work, flaws, strengths and on. The internal conflict they feel with each situation - the hardest part is showing it on paper.

Of course, most of that is not in the actual manuscript as it would deviate from the story line. As I am inventing stories of their every day lives in my mind, I'm now beginning to wonder if I should have included more of their personal lives in the manuscript. I read on this and other forums that led me to believe that would be too boring and I needed to leave it out.

I was just wondering how my internal conflict, outside the storytelling, the rest of you have in your published and unpublished novels?

Thanks/

Humm. This may be the wrong section for the above topic, so moderator, please move if you feel appropriate!

Rogue Mutt
    I know some people make elaborate worksheets of all their character's traits beforehand. I just like to see what develops.

Depends on what kind of story you write. If it's about family and relationships, then yep, you want a lot of personal stuff in there. If it's about a mercenary in a war, then no, don't want much.

You present a very interesting query...!

I agree with what John just said because people who read any kind of book that was based on a real or make-believe life, they want as many details as you can provide them with because the reason they're reading your book is so they can put themselves in your character's situation in those reader's minds.

The more details you share will just let them get into your work even more, which would inevitably make it more successful overall.