HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33
  1. #21
    Rogue Mutt
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greenstein View Post
    Child, you just demonstrated how little you know about the profession you claim to practice. Had you actually talked to an agent, or a publisher, attended a conference, or belonged to an actual writer's group—one that has pros as members—you would know all that without my having to tell you. Had you had even the sense to read the article I linked to you, would have seen, "We write all these books, how-to articles, and blogs,” they groan. “We travel coast to coast giving workshops and telling writers what to do and what not to do. Are these efforts making a difference? No,” they moan. “Our offices are still being flooded with the same kind of amateur submissions.”

    But forget that. The current rejection rate for books that will appear in your local bookstore is 99.9+%. It should not take a genius to figure out that the vast majority of those, which are rejected before the end of page one, are not professionally written. But apparently, you didn't.

    Without fail. I post something and there you are, in high dudgeon, filled with outrage, but without a clue.
    I wouldn't call that "outrage." It's just amusing that you think everyone needs to have sources to post a critique and yet when it comes to this you post a bunch of made-up stats.

    Anyway, I guess compared to you most everyone would be a child. lol



  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Elkins Park PA
    Posts
    343
    wouldn't call that "outrage." It's just amusing that you think everyone needs to have sources to post a critique and yet when it comes to this you post a bunch of made-up stats.
    Child, the way you refute something is with facts, not yelling, "I know you're wrong."

    So here's how it's going to go. I'll say what I care to, and provide the relevant references. And you, like any good troll, will stand around with your thumb up your ass shouting that I must be wrong because you don't like me.

    Only a moron would look at rejection rates as high as they are—so high that you can't sell your work to a publisher—and insist that most of what's submitted isn't looked at by the publishers as amateur writing. Hard to believe that you still insist on it after reading "In spite of cloudy crystal balls, publishing pros do foresee with some accuracy one type of failure: average writing. They call it amateur."

    But then you were probably too lazy to read it.

  3. #23
    Rogue Mutt
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greenstein View Post
    Child, the way you refute something is with facts, not yelling, "I know you're wrong."

    So here's how it's going to go. I'll say what I care to, and provide the relevant references. And you, like any good troll, will stand around with your thumb up your ass shouting that I must be wrong because you don't like me.

    Only a moron would look at rejection rates as high as they are—so high that you can't sell your work to a publisher—and insist that most of what's submitted isn't looked at by the publishers as amateur writing. Hard to believe that you still insist on it after reading "In spite of cloudy crystal balls, publishing pros do foresee with some accuracy one type of failure: average writing. They call it amateur."

    But then you were probably too lazy to read it.
    What relevant sources did you provide? All that technique didn't do anything for you. Lol
    Last edited by Rogue Mutt; 08-02-2015 at 09:11 PM.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Elkins Park PA
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mutt View Post
    What relevant sources did you provide? All that technique didn't do anything for you. Lol
    Kid, you talk a lot, and complain a lot, but say little of value. Anyone can say, "No you're wrong," to everything they hear. But that's juvenile, and you've already demonstrated that you haven't a clue.

    You're like a masochist who needs a fix of anger and feeling put upon, shouting, "Hurt me...please hurt me."

    But I'm a sadist, so my answer is, "No."

  5. #25
    Rogue Mutt
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greenstein View Post
    Kid, you talk a lot, and complain a lot, but say little of value. Anyone can say, "No you're wrong," to everything they hear. But that's juvenile, and you've already demonstrated that you haven't a clue.

    You're like a masochist who needs a fix of anger and feeling put upon, shouting, "Hurt me...please hurt me."

    But I'm a sadist, so my answer is, "No."
    The sadist is the one who gets off on hurting people. It's nice to confirm that's what you are. lol I'm thinking you could have come up with a better metaphor there.

  6. #26
    Administrator Wickett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by jayce View Post
    Anybody seen Wickett?
    He's back.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mutt View Post
    The teddy bear in Return of the Jedi. Also the absentee moderator of the forum.
    Who's absent? Play nice boys, or this teddy bear will throw sharp rocks at you.

  7. #27
    Rogue Mutt
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Wickett View Post
    He's back.



    Who's absent? Play nice boys, or this teddy bear will throw sharp rocks at you.
    More like hit himself in the head with them.

  8. #28
    DaBlaRR
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Wickett View Post
    He's back.



    Who's absent? Play nice boys, or this teddy bear will throw sharp rocks at you.
    Haha. The Mutt was on the loose.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Elkins Park PA
    Posts
    343
    [QUOTE=Rogue Mutt;1359875]I wouldn't call that "outrage." It's just amusing that you think everyone needs to have sources to post a critique and yet when it comes to this you post a bunch of made-up stats.[quote]Unlike you, I don't have to make anything up. Ask any agent and they'll tell you the same thing. Noah Lukeman told me that he read over two thousand queries before he signed a new client. Donald Mass says pretty much the same thing. And a quick search of the Internet shows the same thing, here,and here for magazine sales, and here too. People who do their homework know this, because rejections have been at that level for over a decade.

    But that doesn't mean it's a lottery. So the number can be misleading. Baen Books used to have an article on their site that talked about it. According to them, if you're writing on a professional level the odds aren't all that bad. But if you're not, they're insurmountable.

    Anyway, I guess compared to you most everyone would be a child. lol
    Not really. I called you that because you behave like a kid who's sitting on a balcony, and who, because no one can get up there, shouts insults simply because he can. You take advantage of the anonymity of the Internet to behave in a way you wouldn't dare to do in person. Seems kind of a cowardly thing to do.

  10. #30
    Administrator Wickett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mutt View Post
    More like hit himself in the head with them.
    My one unflattering moment and they just happened to record it. Ee chee wa maa...

    By the way DaBlaRRR, love your signature.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts