HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: extroverts

Hybrid View

extroverts

I am an introvert, a thinker and observer and overly self-reflective. My MC may be more of an extrovert, but I'm having trouble putting myself in her head (though I'm actually writing with limited narrator's POV). Any suggestions to inspire me?

I know that's a vague question, forgive me.

Rogue Mutt
    Find an extrovert and follow them around.

What RM said. Some writers (but not me—I'm not organized enough) carry a notebook around to jot down random dialog they hear during the day. Not so much to copy and regurgitate as to develop an ear for different voices.

Hmm...I'm an introvert, and I just write my characters doing and saying things I would never do or say. It's usually a pretty accurate extrovert.

You could try this method. Create different situations for your character, that may or may not be in your story, and have them deal with each one only using actions- no dialogue/speaking for the character. This may help you devise the aspects you want for your story. Hope this sparks a few ideas.
    K.S. Crooks - Dreamer and Author
    http://www.kscrooks.com

K.S. Crooks, your advice reminded me; when I was a kid I described my parents as opposites. If our house was on fire, roof collapsing on us, my father would advise us to line up and exit quietly. My mother would throw a chair through the window and leap out headfirst, even though the door was open.
    This memory and your advice has me placing my characters in some similar situations, much to my amusement! ( I think I was trying to get inside their heads and I may need to start with what that will look like on the outside first. )
    Thanks everyone!