HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

failed engagement

After planning my plot structure, I've decided against setting my story in the past, but I have a failed engagement in my MC's character sketch that shapes her present decisions. Any suggestions for a present day marriage con-job? I don't want the anger of infidelity. This was supposed to be the spark that sent my character searching for a clean slate.

Rogue Mutt
    I found this on Wikipedia:
    Romance scam

The traditional romance scam has now moved into Internet dating sites. The con actively cultivates a romantic relationship which often involves promises of marriage. However, after some time it becomes evident that this Internet "sweetheart" is stuck in his or her home country or a third country, lacking the money to leave and thus unable to be united with the mark. The scam then becomes an advance-fee fraud or a check fraud. A wide variety of reasons can be offered for the trickster's lack of cash, but rather than just borrow the money from the victim (advance fee fraud), the con-person normally declares that he has checks which the victim can cash on his behalf and remit the money via a non-reversible transfer service to help facilitate the trip (check fraud). Of course, the checks are forged or stolen and the con-person never makes the trip: the hapless victim ends up with a large debt and an aching heart. This scam can be seen in the movie Nights of Cabiria.

In some cases, an on-line dating site is itself engaged in fraud, posting profiles of fictional persons or persons which the operator knows are not currently looking for a date in the advertised locality.[3]

Awesome, just checked out Wikipedia, it had a lot of possible situations. Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lyn's beginning View Post
    After planning my plot structure, I've decided against setting my story in the past...
    Zillions of novels combine "present" story beats with "past" story beats (called back-story). Introducing back-story can bring narrative flow to a slogging halt, but done effectively it's well-nigh essential. It's all in the execution.

If you haven't done so, you might spend a few bucks on "writing for dummies" type books. (No offense here; my bookshelf is loaded with them.) I recommend Stein on Writing, by Sol Stein (writer, editor, publisher); but the woods are full of effective how-tos.

I am actually doing more reading about writing than I am actual writing at the moment, I'm overly practical and I don't want to waste time writing poorly. Thanks for the Stein recommendation, I've seen his name on here quite a bit already.

Just for clarification, I was referring to my setting, as in a historical fiction where con artists could manipulate my character. Then I switched to present day setting, so I needed a present day con.

Thanks again!

The relationship could have failed do to the differences in where they each wanted to live, the occupations one of them had- not everyone can deal with a spouse in the military or being a police officer for instance. There could have been interference from an in-law or sibling, a dispute between one of her friends and spouse, when to have children or not at all is a huge one, one person is more dedicated to their job than to the marriage. Hope this sparks a few ideas.
    K.S. Crooks - Dreamer and Author
    http://www.kscrooks.com

Would you be able to describe more of your story. I feel I am missing some parts of what you are trying to achieve, and if I could just here more, I think it could help .

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
    Would you be able to describe more of your story. I feel I am missing some parts of what you are trying to achieve, and if I could just here more, I think it could help .
    Might be hard since she hasn't been online since last July.