HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Quote Originally Posted by John Oberon View Post
    It would be far more "male" for the MC to get up and try to stop the woman from packing.
    I too had a feint feeling there was lesbian fine print. I gave it the benefit of a doubt. As to your comment, when women are self convinced they're ready to walk they'll egotistically disregard anything you have to say. Females silently try a man, just prior to break up. The evidence is their emotions, it's always a hanging jury. You can make statements in your own defense, but it generally ends in banishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greenstein View Post
    Actually, the thread is less than a week old—which seems fairly young for a "cadaver." Always check before pushing send. Helps prevent foot in mouth disease.
    Greenstein, you're on the razor's edge of my patience. Defending you was a mistake I'll make but ONCE, king of nothing except denial. First off, you don't speak for all editors, publishers, or teachers. You're a self absorbed egomaniac, on a planet far from reality, who thinks you do. No, I don't figure the art of writing is irrelevant. I figure your delusions of grandeur don't make you the reincarnated first author who chiseled the first narrative in stone at the dawn of time, or even the ventriloquist dummy of the teachers of fiction. How are you going to tell me to what I feel attached? I have no problem with fiction. I have a problem with your inability to smell your own flatulence.

No one questions that we can't learn to be a screenwriter by watching films, but everyone assumes we learn how to write fiction by reading it.
    While a person may not be able to format a screenplay to industry standards, they can learn a lot about films from watching them. Ditto for reading. You might want to pull your head out your behind, while your reaching back there. The force generally only works on the WEAK minded.

If a hopeful writer isn't willing to spend a few bucks and some time learning and perfecting the skills the publishers and teachers view as necessary, how can they call themself a serious writer? The average person, before selling a word, writes, polishes and puts aside, a half million to a million words. But that assumes they have some training, too, because publishers view fully 75% of what's submitted as unreadable, and all but 3% as unprofessional. And you can't fix that by fumbling around, while assuming that we somehow magically improving while using the same skill set over and over. All we're really doing is getting better at writing lousy.
    Womp, womp, womp, womp, womp, womp, womp. Help me Obi-wan Kenobi, you're my only ho-- NOT!

But until you responded to Bee, I'm the only one talking about the writing that's the reason for the thread, because it's been hijacked.
    Horse manure! If you really cared about anything other than your narcisstic, petty, pathetic, insatiable need to have the last word, you'd have ended it amicably after the first contentious response. Thanks to you, Wickett may very well close the thread , but you're still adding inflammatory responses cause you care about Bee, right? Listening to all the responses, to include moderators, rather than ranting for love of hearing yourself drool, helps prevent head up rear syndrome. You should try it sometime.

I'm not wild about the example you gave Bee
    I think you've mistaken me for someone that cares. To coin a Greenstein that rewrite wasn't addressed at you. The OP thought it was worthy of consideration. They're all that matters, right Greenstein?

FYI, a cadaver is a "corpse" the second after it expires.
    Last edited by Author Pendragin; 06-04-2015 at 03:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jayce View Post
    A gamma male would help her pack.
    No, that's a delta male....and an epsilon male would REALLY be asleep.

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greenstein View Post
    Still here, hijacking the thread, and talking just to talk. I'm less than impressed.
    Awww now you hurt my feelings. Lol. Maybe you should post some of your writing so bee can see what truly professional writing looks like. Oh wait you just regurgitate how to books. Those who can't do or teach, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mutt View Post
    Maybe you should post some of your writing so bee can see what truly professional writing looks like.
    Cue superiority response from the self appointed potentate of literature.
    Last edited by Author Pendragin; 06-04-2015 at 08:06 AM.

Oh wait you just regurgitate how to books.
    Golly...we wouldn't want to give a hopeful writer proven advice, would we?

Seriously, what possible reason would you have for suggesting that providing the advice from writer who taught the subject and sold seventy-five of his own novels is a poor choice when compared with your record? That sounds too much like what Mr. Asimov meant when he said, “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’ ” Are you really as against learning the skills that publishers expect to see, from those who successfully teach it? if so, it seems like less than the most efficient way of achieving success.

First off, you don't speak for all editors, publishers, or teachers
    Actually, given that what I say is a paraphrasing of those teachers, writers, and publishers, I do speak for them. And I have to, because they're not here to speak for themselves. I notice that you haven't tried to refute what I've said, or asked for the relevant paragraph in the book to back it up. You're just complaining that I said it to someone who asked for comment—which doesn't seem all that productive, or to fit the TOS of the site. There's no requirement that you, or anyone else, follow the advice. And and certainly, not a word of it was directed at your writing, or you. And since Bee, the owner of the thread that was hijacked hasn't complained over being given professional, sources to check out, who are you trying to protect? Sounds like, by deciding what I can and can't say in an open forum, that you're assuming the role of both censor and board monitor.
    While a person may not be able to format a screenplay to industry standards, they can learn a lot about films from watching them.
    "A lot?"I give up. What's a lot? 10% Of what a successful screenwriter needs? 40%? Without that it's an indeterminate statement, as meaningful as saying mashed potatoes have no bones. It's true, but so what? No one learns the process of performing any profession—the decisions, the specialized knowledge, and the thousand things the pros take for granted—by viewing the finished product. Were you to make your comment to a real screenwriter they would laugh. Why? Read this.
    but you're still adding inflammatory responses cause you care about Bee,
    So you and Mutt hijack the thread to talk about me, and now you're bitching because I responded to your insults?

I haven't called you names, nor will I. That would be both impolite and against Netiquette for any forum. I'm sorry my mentioning what they teach people who attend commercial fiction writing courses at the university, and the things editors and agents say at conferences and retreats offends you. But since no one else is, and since it makes the difference between a yes and a rejection, someone should. This is a writers forum, after all.

It would seem less than helpful to limit comments to unprofessional advice.
    FYI, a cadaver is a "corpse" the second after it expires.
    But it hasn't. And in spite of your claim that it's an old thread, it was begun less than a week ago. And perhaps, were you not so angry, and responding without thought, you would know that. The only one behaving as if he's in a flame war is you. I'm not angry at anyone. Getting so on the Internet is a waste of time. So I respond as I would were I with the person, and take a deep breath before I push the send button.

Besides, it's a nice day And the mood I'll have is my choice, not something in response to someone else's mood. What fun is that?

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by Author Pendragin View Post
    Cue superiority response from the self appointed potentate of literature.
    Right on schedule.

Flame war ensues. Come on guys, you can do better than this.