HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    DaBlaRR

?! another newbie question

When a question is asked in an aggressive way, is it correct to combine the "?!"

I've always wondered that. And now I'm faced with the choice of using it.

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBlaRR View Post
    When a question is asked in an aggressive way, is it correct to combine the "?!"

I've always wondered that. And now I'm faced with the choice of using it.
    Only in comic books and text messages. I think if your characters shout, "What the hell?" it's understood that the question is aggressive.

DaBlaRR
    There is a scene where my MC learns his Mom actually killed herself on his birthday. He looks up and says "“Really Mom? On my birthday?" As he exits the graveyard.

Is it safe to assume from that scenario as he looks up, it is like the, "What the hell?" comment?

Oh and to add to that, the rain picks up bla bla... he didn't know this bla bla... he has had a love/hate relationship with his mom, more of a hate one.... and that was already built up in the story. Ok last edit.
    Last edited by DaBlaRR; 05-15-2015 at 07:54 PM.

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBlaRR View Post
    There is a scene where my MC learns his Mom actually killed herself on his birthday. He looks up and says "“Really Mom? On my birthday?" As he exits the graveyard.

Is it safe to assume from that scenario as he looks up, it is like the, "What the hell?" comment?

Oh and to add to that, the rain picks up bla bla... he didn't know this bla bla... he has had a love/hate relationship with his mom, more of a hate one.... and that was already built up in the story. Ok last edit.
    I think the meaning is clear enough.

Done right, you're not telling the reader what happened, you're recreating the protagonist's state of mind in your reader. Given that, the excitement belongs in the writing, not the punctuation!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greenstein View Post
    [T]he excitement belongs in the writing, not the punctuation!
    So... the "writing"—by which you mean the "words" (just guessing here)—should be rendered separate and apart from the squiggly marks?

It's "!?", not "?!".

You can also be more aggressive with the words used. "God, Really mom? On my #$%&@ birthday!"
    K.S. Crooks - Dreamer and Author
    http://www.kscrooks.com