HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Or you could just ignore my message and I could forget the whole thing. Yeah.... that'll work.

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hagler View Post
    Or you could just ignore my message and I could forget the whole thing. Yeah.... that'll work.
    Maybe he hasn't figured out the PM system yet. Or it takes a really long time to parse his knowledge into a short enough message to send.

Poor Jay Greenstein.

Apparently this guy read a writing book pubbed in 1965 and now poses as an expert, judging writing based on whether it conforms to one guy's techniques, instead of whether or not the writing works. "Techniques of the Selling Writer" merely shows a few tricks and is very limited in depth and scope.

I've never read critiques that say so little using so many words.

Ever heard the James Brown song, "Talkin' Loud and Sayin' Nothing"?

Maybe Wickett banned him as a precaution.

From
    http://writing-community.writerswork...iven_8054.html

"Is it not significant that (a) Jay Greenstein was the first person ever to be banned here and (b) he's been banned from at least three other internet writing communities?"
    [...]
    "...I found his bludgeoning insistence on 'there is only one correct way to write and get published, it is the way I say, and anyone who thinks different is a self-deluded, naive idiot' discouraging. I can only imagine its effect on a beginner. It's not even true. His way may be A way, but it sure as hell ain't THE ONLY way.

"Incidentally, on one of the forums he was banned from, he backed his claims to be an authority by saying that he was a published author with over 6,000 copies of one of his books in circulation. Someone did a bit of research and found he'd published it himself and offered free copies on the net. Seems he's a con man too..."

Subject change:

Wickett, would you or your company consider adding a password-protected members-only private subforum? A nonpublic place where members can discuss things frankly?

Members would sign in as we do now, then enter another password for the private forum--not readable by anyone not signed in.

What's to lose? After years of attempts, it's obvious this forum will never be restored to its previous active state, so why not?

By the way, I agreed with the elimination of the Smoko forum, which became a toxic cesspit of bitter, sour old ladies...and a funny old guy, that poor cat in the hat guy, who was funny when he was off his meds. Once he claimed that author Dan Simmons contacted him personally to ask him to join the Simmons forum. Funny guy.

But I'm suggesting a private subforum, not readable by the public. I'm sure vBulletin has this capability.
    Last edited by robin; 05-15-2015 at 04:31 PM. Reason: typo

Chris: This looks like your guy: https://jaygreenstein.wordpress.com/

I saw a facebook link there (it's a busy webpage). Ping him one time.

Luck.

Rogue Mutt
    He gave away 6000 books? Seems like he and John Oberon have a lot in common. lol

Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    Poor Jay Greenstein.

Apparently this guy read a writing book pubbed in 1965 and now poses as an expert, judging writing based on whether it conforms to one guy's techniques, instead of whether or not the writing works. "Techniques of the Selling Writer" merely shows a few tricks and is very limited in depth and scope.

I've never read critiques that say so little using so many words.

Ever heard the James Brown song, "Talkin' Loud and Sayin' Nothing"?

Maybe Wickett banned him as a precaution.

From
    http://writing-community.writerswork...iven_8054.html

"Is it not significant that (a) Jay Greenstein was the first person ever to be banned here and (b) he's been banned from at least three other internet writing communities?"
    [...]
    "...I found his bludgeoning insistence on 'there is only one correct way to write and get published, it is the way I say, and anyone who thinks different is a self-deluded, naive idiot' discouraging. I can only imagine its effect on a beginner. It's not even true. His way may be A way, but it sure as hell ain't THE ONLY way.

"Incidentally, on one of the forums he was banned from, he backed his claims to be an authority by saying that he was a published author with over 6,000 copies of one of his books in circulation. Someone did a bit of research and found he'd published it himself and offered free copies on the net. Seems he's a con man too..."

Subject change:

Wickett, would you or your company consider adding a password-protected members-only private subforum? A nonpublic place where members can discuss things frankly?

Members would sign in as we do now, then enter another password for the private forum--not readable by anyone not signed in.

What's to lose? After years of attempts, it's obvious this forum will never be restored to its previous active state, so why not?

By the way, I agreed with the elimination of the Smoko forum, which became a toxic cesspit of bitter, sour old ladies...and a funny old guy, that poor cat in the hat guy, who was funny when he was off his meds. Once he claimed that author Dan Simmons contacted him personally to ask him to join the Simmons forum. Funny guy.

But I'm suggesting a private subforum, not readable by the public. I'm sure vBulletin has this capability.

Honestly I'm not really as gullible as he thinks... it just fascinated me that he claimed he could tell me WHERE my MS's had been rejected. This I wanted to hear for myself. I thought it might at least be interesting.

I don't think anyone can tell me a reason why that I already don't know, and that's reality. As far as where, I was gonna ask what type crystal ball he owned.

Honestly I'm not really as gullible as he thinks... it just fascinated me that he claimed he could tell me WHERE my MS's had been rejected. This I wanted to hear for myself. I thought it might at least be interesting.

I don't think anyone can tell me a reason why that I already don't know, and that's reality. As far as where, I was gonna ask what type crystal ball he owned.

Oh man, no more?? I wanted to know what you and Jay were talking about toward the end!

Hi Chris. I feel your pain. I live a very complicated life, a lot of dark avenues I am always faced with. Because of that, it took me ten years to write an epic fantasy trilogy. I poured my heart and soul into it, revised and revised, had it published from an independent publisher (I got the rights back after 3 years of getting nowhere), revised again, found a new editor, revised again (lol), and finally self published it. Received good reviews, and a few bad ones. I've sold about...I don't know, 700 to 1000 copies in a little over a year. But that's still squat. And I'm never happy with the covers, they are ALWAYS terrible!! But the story is my baby, and I'm still currently seeking to get into the big boy companies. I just want one chance for my story to make it, or at least find its way into the books stores across the States. Yes...still seeking an agent. I can also say that I spent HUNDREDS on editors and cover artists and all it ever seems to get me is in debt. Oh well. I'll keep trying. You keep trying too.

From a fellow brother in literature, J.W.Baccaro.
    Last edited by JWBaccaro; 09-10-2015 at 02:22 AM.