HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sex Scenes

Hybrid View

DaBlaRR

Sex Scenes

There is some sexual encounters that happens in my story. BUT I have no desire to describe them. I don't want to go all "fifty shades of grey" ... I rather just pretty much show they had sex.

There is a scene where my Character robs a pawnshop. Then comes back home and the girl he's about to plow is in his room.

They do there thing and bla bla bla... or yada yada yada... how ever you want to put it.

Is it an ok practice, to show the next scene is them in the bed the next morning where it is easily implied they had sex.

OR

Is it important I show the sex scene in a way?

Ya ya, it's my story, I make the rules. But I need some opinions.

Stay tuned for my next question...

Rogue Mutt
    It depends on what genre you're writing in. When I write erotica books obviously people want sex that's in more detail. In other genres then you don't need much detail if you don't want it.

IMO: don't do gratuitous sex or violence. If nothing important to the plot or characterization occur during the scene, why waste the words?

I'm with Tinman. In my opinion, any graphic sex STOPS the story until the sex is finished. 99.9% of the time, the purpose of sex in a story is titillation and nothing else, so I vote to imply sex and get on with the story.

DaBlaRR
    Thanks guys.

And don't use terms like "plow". Otherwise I'm totally with John and Tinman. People reading mystery aren't in it for the sex.

DaBlaRR
    haha. Wicket. I would never use that in writing. I type on a forum as I speak in real life. I don't write the same way as I actually talk. This is just me shootin the **** with other writers with no regard for proper grammar. If I was an editor however, I would make sure I put a lot more effort into the wording I use in my posts, not mentioning any names.

The only time I'd use a word such as "plow" would be if it was dialogue, and it was the Characters nature to speak in that manner.
    Last edited by DaBlaRR; 04-22-2015 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBlaRR View Post
    the girl he's about to plow is in his room.

They do there thing and bla bla bla... or yada yada yada... how ever you want to put it.
    It's their, not there.

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by Author Pendragin View Post
    It's their, not there.
    Whatevs.

DaBlaRR
    Quote Originally Posted by Author Pendragin View Post
    It's their, not there.
    OOPS.. I am aware.