HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by John Oberon View Post
    1. Either build a name for yourself online or tap into a hot cause or topic that's captured the interest of a decent segment of society. I'm in no hurry, so I'm choosing the first route and planning for three or four years to reach a decent audience. You strike me as being in a hurry, so I'd choose the second route if I were you. However, in order to do this, you'd have to change your comic book idea to suit whatever current events you plan to use as your ATM. For example, I'd say just about the hottest topic at the moment is racism and blacks dying at the hands of police. Now if your comic book were about say, a black rebellion against police...well, you have a ready-made audience already interested in reading and seeing pictures about that subject, and would probably give money to see it a reality. See? Just like Fracknation. Nobody's gonna identify with these troxi-things you're trying to sell, but a heckuva lotta brainless people would pay to see a black kid beat the crap out of a white policeman, unfortunately. If you were to do that, I think it would generate a boatload of publicity and launch you pretty quickly if you were a decent enough writer to create a decent story and had a decent artist. In my opinion though, you're not a very good writer and your artist is pretty weak. But don't let that stop you, awful crap has caught on before, and you could be the next, and if it does, instant name and credibility.

2. The story and graphics on your Kickstarter...not too good. The colors are pastel - the blood is a mauve, almost pink, for cripe's sake! The style is what I call "clipped", like what a promising high-schooler would do maybe. If it were me, I'd get a different artist. And your story...let's just say I'm surprised that story has generated as much money as it has.

3. See #1.
    Holy hell, dude. Was all of that necessary? Maybe if you just left your criticisms at me being not a good writer and the artist being weak, I would have taken you more seriously; however, everything else you just tacked on to make a point, just lessened your credibility in my eyes; probably in others' too. Can you be any more unnecessarily rude and hateful?
    Last edited by herkyjerky87; 05-01-2015 at 07:32 AM.

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by herkyjerky87 View Post
    Holy hell, dude. Was all of that necessary? Maybe if you just left your criticisms at me being not a good writer and the artist being weak, I would have taken you more seriously; however, everything else you just tacked on to make a point, just lessened your credibility in my eyes; probably in others' too. Can you be any more unnecessarily rude and hateful?
    Yes he can and he has.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mutt View Post
    Yes he can and he has.
    Wait, so are you telling me he is often like this?

Quote Originally Posted by herkyjerky87 View Post
    Well, I wasn't trying to be rude or hateful. I just gave you my honest opinion. Just disregard it, if you don't like it. It's not like I wrote it on tablets or anything, lol.

I read your summary of your story. It's not well written in my opinion, and I seriously doubt many would identify very strongly with your storyline especially to the point of giving money. It's just my honest opinion. Do you have any evidence to the contrary? Is it really out in left field to your mind? I don't really see anything rude or hateful in that opinion. Here: I don't think your story or your writing is very good, and I'm kinda surprised that you've gotten the pledges you have. Hard to read, disagreeable to acknowledge, sure, but not rude or hateful. I really don't know you well enough to be rude and hateful to you, lol.

I saw the art on your Kickstarter. I've been around art and artists all my life. My father and grandfather were artists. I'm telling you in my opinion, that art leaves a lot to be desired. It's not horrible, but it has all the marks of an amateur. Is that hateful and rude? Sorry. Just an opinion based on my decades of experience in the art world. Please disregard it if you're offended.

Well, I wasn't trying to be rude or hateful. I just gave you my honest opinion. Just disregard it, if you don't like it. It's not like I wrote it on tablets or anything, lol.

I read your summary of your story. It's not well written in my opinion, and I seriously doubt many would identify very strongly with your storyline especially to the point of giving money. It's just my honest opinion. Do you have any evidence to the contrary? Is it really out in left field to your mind? I don't really see anything rude or hateful in that opinion. Here: I don't think your story or your writing is very good, and I'm kinda surprised that you've gotten the pledges you have. Hard to read, disagreeable to acknowledge, sure, but not rude or hateful. I really don't know you well enough to be rude and hateful to you, lol.

I saw the art on your Kickstarter. I've been around art and artists all my life. My father and grandfather were artists. I'm telling you in my opinion, that art leaves a lot to be desired. It's not horrible, but it has all the marks of an amateur. Is that hateful and rude? Sorry. Just an opinion based on my decades of experience in the art world. Please disregard it if you're offended.
    Currently I'm not sure if you are actually trying to be constructive, or just patronizing this time. You can be honest, (I like honesty,) but what you did was the equivalent of taking a dump in front of me, scooping it up, and then tossing it at my face. The other stuff was not necessary to add on; you came off as a very ugly individual. Now, it's kind of hard to laugh off something like that and pretend it didn't happen, even though the entry is 4 or 5 posts away from this one. Okay, I'll bite anyway:

I assume when you talk about the story, you mean both the main one and the comic book? The main story is long and detailed, so it would be tough to condense into a short summary. Meanwhile, the comic book is designed more to entertain the readers and not to spread some message, so how do I relay that idea to them properly? It's supposed to be a short action story, so admittedly the plot is thin, like a B-movie. The artist I picked, though seemingly amateurish through some eyes, does have a style that fits the story's attitude; kitschy, fun, not really meant to be taken seriously. (There is one guy on Kickstarter, who got over $4,000 to retell Die Hard, with badly drawn, copy-written cartoon characters...in crayon!) This story is a relatively lighthearted romp, compared to the other 4 stories I wrote. How do I get that across to people, who want to see this type of art and story?

Okay. lemme read your stories and get a solid idea of your writing and storyline. I only read your summary.

As to the art, if that's what you think fits the story, alrighty. Not my cup of tea. If it were my comic, I'd want something better than a good high-schooler could do, but that's just me. I'm a perfectionist. I want blood that looks like blood, lol.

I'll read the links to your stories and get back with you.

Okay, I just started reading a little bit of your "history", and I want to ask you this right off the bat: Is English your first language? I only ask because every now then I see a little bit of an odd construction, which could be construed as your native language horning in a little bit on your English writing, so don't get bent out of shape.

Okay. lemme read your stories and get a solid idea of your writing and storyline. I only read your summary.

As to the art, if that's what you think fits the story, alrighty. Not my cup of tea. If it were my comic, I'd want something better than a good high-schooler could do, but that's just me. I'm a perfectionist. I want blood that looks like blood, lol.

I'll read the links to your stories and get back with you.
    They are only available on PDF format.

Okay...so I read The Forebear of Future Nightmares and The Ugly Aftermath and can safely say you need an editor. If it was you who wrote those, then you're not a horrible writer, but you're certainly not a good one. Is English your first language?

Is English your first language?
    You can obviously tell English is my native language, otherwise I wouldn't be always writing in English. Do you ask everybody you critique that question, or just those with names that sound foreign to yours?