HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Just thought about something Rogue Mutt:
    Is there anything you find about the campaign that you feel makes pledging towards the goal not worth it? If so, please tell me.

My son had (and has) a website devoted to his game development for a couple years before trying Kickstarter. He didn't reach his goal, but he did get greenlit on Steam and positive results on other gaming sites as well. He plans to release his game on May 12.

I think it just takes time to develop an online presence. That's what I'm in the process of doing. Still learning the ropes, but I figure after 3 or 4 years, I'll have a decent enough presence to implement various strategies to sell my books. I'm patient and in no hurry.

Unless you have a name or you're connected with some kind of cause that's hot with a particular segment of society, you won't generate much revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by John Oberon View Post
    My son had (and has) a website devoted to his game development for a couple years before trying Kickstarter. He didn't reach his goal, but he did get greenlit on Steam and positive results on other gaming sites as well. He plans to release his game on May 12.

I think it just takes time to develop an online presence. That's what I'm in the process of doing. Still learning the ropes, but I figure after 3 or 4 years, I'll have a decent enough presence to implement various strategies to sell my books. I'm patient and in no hurry.

Unless you have a name or you're connected with some kind of cause that's hot with a particular segment of society, you won't generate much revenue.
    I'm not sure how else to draw people to my writing. How can I tell a story properly without using the optimal format?

Glad to hear about your son's success by the way. What's the game called? Also, does he remember the percentage of the Kickstarter goal before it ended?

He asked for $10K and ended up reaching a little over $6K. You don't get any money if you don't reach your goal, so he ended up earning the money himself. He's selling the game for $15. Apparently, he has about 1400 people on Steam who want to buy it, so he might make a little money when all is said and done. I think he created the game primarily for credibility and to build a reputation as a game developer.

Don't mean to get off track but I'm curious. What is the game?

He asked for $10K and ended up reaching a little over $6K.
    I'm only asking for $2835; currently, I'm not even at 30% of this goal. I'm hoping that I would reach 30% before the deadline's halfway point.
    Originally, I tried to raise $25,000 for all five stories. (Yeah, I know, terrible idea.) I thought a number as low as what I'm asking for now, would have people more willing to back the project, since it is far easier to obtain.
    I know, I and the writer working with me, are not famous, but being a couple of nobodies couldn't be the only reason not that many are backing us. I'm spreading it through forums, 2 Facebook pages, Twitter, even on Tumblr, and yet still barely anyone is helping out. Is there something I'm possibly missing?

Well, yeah...your cause is not compelling. Your story and your graphics are pretty random, and in my opinion, not all that good. The only people you're going to attract are people who really, really, REALLY like comic books. That's a pretty small minority.

Do you remember a documentary called "Gasland"? It was a deceitful piece of propaganda against fracking. It made quite a splash. Well, a guy wanted to make a documentary to counter that film. He was a journalist with a good reputation and had good solid documentation of the lies and deceit of "Gasland". He made his case clearly and concisely and got over $200K in support. "Fracknation" came out and just destroyed all the claims of "Gasland". You'll see a list of all the more important Kickstarter supporters at the end of "Fracknation".

The point is that fellow had a firm foundation of public interest on which to draw before he typed one letter on Kickstarter. He was not a big name, but he had enough reputation and credibility to make people believe that he could do what he said he was going to do, and do it well. That's what you're missing. At minimum, you need credibility, and you just ain't got it, in my opinion.

Rogue Mutt
    Well, yeah...your cause is not compelling. Your story and your graphics are pretty random, and in my opinion, not all that good. The only people you're going to attract are people who really, really, REALLY like comic books. That's a pretty small minority.

Do you remember a documentary called "Gasland"? It was a deceitful piece of propaganda against fracking. It made quite a splash. Well, a guy wanted to make a documentary to counter that film. He was a journalist with a good reputation and had good solid documentation of the lies and deceit of "Gasland". He made his case clearly and concisely and got over $200K in support. "Fracknation" came out and just destroyed all the claims of "Gasland". You'll see a list of all the more important Kickstarter supporters at the end of "Fracknation".

The point is that fellow had a firm foundation of public interest on which to draw before he typed one letter on Kickstarter. He was not a big name, but he had enough reputation and credibility to make people believe that he could do what he said he was going to do, and do it well. That's what you're missing. At minimum, you need credibility, and you just ain't got it, in my opinion.
    And it helps to have the oil industry in your pocket. Lol

Well, yeah...your cause is not compelling. Your story and your graphics are pretty random, and in my opinion, not all that good.... At minimum, you need credibility, and you just ain't got it, in my opinion.
    1.) You have any pointers on making the campaign even more compelling?

2.) When you say story and graphics, do you mean the story and graphics explaining the details of the campaign, or the story and graphics of the comic book itself?

3.) Anyway someone like me is able to build credibility, despite not having the money to fund his own project by himself?

1. Either build a name for yourself online or tap into a hot cause or topic that's captured the interest of a decent segment of society. I'm in no hurry, so I'm choosing the first route and planning for three or four years to reach a decent audience. You strike me as being in a hurry, so I'd choose the second route if I were you. However, in order to do this, you'd have to change your comic book idea to suit whatever current events you plan to use as your ATM. For example, I'd say just about the hottest topic at the moment is racism and blacks dying at the hands of police. Now if your comic book were about say, a black rebellion against police...well, you have a ready-made audience already interested in reading and seeing pictures about that subject, and would probably give money to see it a reality. See? Just like Fracknation. Nobody's gonna identify with these troxi-things you're trying to sell, but a heckuva lotta brainless people would pay to see a black kid beat the crap out of a white policeman, unfortunately. If you were to do that, I think it would generate a boatload of publicity and launch you pretty quickly if you were a decent enough writer to create a decent story and had a decent artist. In my opinion though, you're not a very good writer and your artist is pretty weak. But don't let that stop you, awful crap has caught on before, and you could be the next, and if it does, instant name and credibility.

2. The story and graphics on your Kickstarter...not too good. The colors are pastel - the blood is a mauve, almost pink, for cripe's sake! The style is what I call "clipped", like what a promising high-schooler would do maybe. If it were me, I'd get a different artist. And your story...let's just say I'm surprised that story has generated as much money as it has.

3. See #1.