HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

DaBlaRR

Simple words VS. Fancy words

Is it important to use big, fancy words.

When I read something, I find myself having to stop mid sentence and google what the hell I just read.

In my little project that I am working on as a new writer, I do occasionally try to find a better looking word to replace a simple one, but not often.

I like simplicity, or maybe it is my lack of vocab. The latter is more likely.

But really I don't want to lie to anyone, especially the reader. I don't want to write and come across as this insanely intelligent dude with a vocab that reaches the end of the earth and back, when in fact that is a far cry from who I am.

Trying to find big ass words is one thing, then there is the second step of actually figuring out even how to put them in a sentence. What's the point of that when I feel I can explain something in a very simple approach.

Some of the things I read on this site, with writers looking for critique I can't get through because the words are, what I find, unnecessary. I'm all for growing my vocab, hence why I do occasionally learn other words. That is fine. But sometimes I feel it get's carried away.

So my question is, is it important to "pretty" everything up by using words that I didn't know existed yesterday? OR can you tell a fricken awesome story by sticking with the basics?

In short, no. Using fancy words for the sake of using fancy words just gets in the way of the story, as you've noticed yourself. If your reader doesn't understand what the heck you just said, you're going to lose them pretty quickly. You need to find the right word to express what you mean, not the most obscure word. The exception may be in dialog, where you use the words to illustrate how your character speaks and thinks and interacts with others.

DaBlaRR
    awesome answer Gil. Thanks. The dialogue part makes complete sense to me. And yes, the times i mentioned above when I had to find better words, was primarily for the very fact I needed to express it in a stronger way with the use of a more telling word. So that is encouraging. Thanks.

Rogue Mutt
    Though Wickett would say it's a perfectly cromulent word, I'd say you shouldn't use "fusty" and the like. Unless you're writing for academics and then go nuts.

DaBlaRR
    Ha ha ha... I know what thread you are talking about. I saw that debate.

DaBlaRR
    ROGUE haha... ok you made me google "cromulent". This is what I got....

'Cromulent' is simply a made-up word, in fact, made up to describe another made-up word from the Simpson's animated show. It was coined, as you noted, by the writers for that Simpsons episode in 1996.