HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Agents interested in dark fantasy?

So I just finished my first novel... 79k words. It combines a historical Napoleonic setting with paranormal events, a little bit of psychological and Lovecraftian horror, and a whole lot of angst, madness, and murder. I describe it as, "John Constantine meets Sharpe's Rifles."

Can anyone point me in the direction of a literary agent who would be interested in something like this? I admit the subject matter is a bit niche. Any suggestions?

Thank you all in advance.

Go to the library and find a Writer's Market. It will list tons of agents and the kind of writing they want.

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by John Oberon View Post
    Go to the library and find a Writer's Market. It will list tons of agents and the kind of writing they want.
    The library? What is this, the 20th Century?

You can look for agents online at places like Writer's Market, Agent Query, etc. I'd say look for one who reps paranormal and historical. But make sure any you send to are reputable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mutt View Post
    The library? What is this, the 20th Century?

You can look for agents online at places like Writer's Market, Agent Query, etc. I'd say look for one who reps paranormal and historical. But make sure any you send to are reputable.
    LOL! That's hilarious, isn't it? I suggested it because I still go to the library. I like being around a ton of books. Actually, I think you can find links to those sites on my website.

Thanks for the responses. I am using those websites but I still feel very blind. I feel like these genres are so broad and most of them just want Tolkein fantasy. Does anyone know an agent that might be interested in a little bit niche subject matter?

I think just about any agent is interested in a good, well-written story regardless of genre. If you're not finding what you want in those resources, I don't know where else you'd go. Maybe you're being a little TOO picky. Any agent who sells horror is bound to be interested in your book, unless the story stinks or the writing sucks.

It is my experience that no agent is interested in anything....................... ever..................... in fact they may not even exist. Perhaps there are machines that spit out autoreject emails and/or form letters at the addresses where these mythological agencies are supposed to exist.

Suffering from a little rejection overload are we?

Perhaps a bit. I am wondering if I should maybe hide my query letters inside an email that reads "Query for Teenage Vampire Puke Novel" and guarantee myself a read.