HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 53
  1. #21
    Administrator Wickett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mutt View Post
    Hardly. Using Wickett's example, they advertised Windows 8 everywhere and it was garbage. So bad they had to release an update to essentially change it back to Windows 7.

    There are thousands of websites out there that will gladly take your money while promising to help you sell books. Amazon recently joined in with a service where you can bid on ad space. I haven't tried it because I don't feel like gambling a bunch of money for something that may or may not work. The point is there are so many places big and small because the Internet is a huge place. You can throw around money here and there and it's still just tossing pebbles into the ocean. And it's especially useless when you have smart people like me who use adblocking apps in their browser so as not to see that annoying ad you spent hundreds of dollars on.

    You're better off trying to build a following on social media (which is free) or in your local community.
    I only made a general rule about advertising, and I used Windows 8 to do it. I never tried to make a comparison with a single bloke trying to sell his first book. Windows 8 was indeed a steaming pile, but that kind of advertising is why it sold at all. It's sad, but advertising (even on a wasteful scale) does indeed work in pulling people in. That's just a general rule, though. I'm fully aware that the average Joe doesn't have that kind of money.

    I will whole heartedly disagree with your last point, however. Starting a Facebook page and telling your friends and local community about it is sure to guarantee you feigned interest and 5 page Likes. After that, graveyard.



  2. #22
    Rogue Mutt
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Wickett View Post
    I will whole heartedly disagree with your last point, however. Starting a Facebook page and telling your friends and local community about it is sure to guarantee you feigned interest and 5 page Likes. After that, graveyard.
    I whole heartedly disagree with your whole hearted disagreement. Of course you have to go about it the right way. It's a better (and more cost effective) strategy than just chucking money at random websites.

  3. #23
    Senior Member John Oberon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    3,063
    Well, I've never believed much in internet advertising myself. I'm much more old school - radio, TV, magazines, and newspapers. Sounds more like the writing contest at BookBzz went south, and then the site vanished. They were only charging $7.50/month for their advertising services...not much. Yeah, I would consider $7.50 for a month of "advertising" a wasted investment, lol. I'm sure their "services" probably included what most anyone could do themselves.

    By the way, I think the bots found my site - my hits went up dramatically.

  4. #24
    Administrator Wickett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mutt View Post
    I whole heartedly disagree with your whole hearted disagreement. Of course you have to go about it the right way. It's a better (and more cost effective) strategy than just chucking money at random websites.
    I'm disinclined to acquiesce your argument. Chucking money at random sites is not paid advertising. They aren't one in the same. You can pay for advertising and make it count, it doesn't all have to be a waist. There may be a decent way to get a following through your local community as you say, but I'd still consider that a one in a million shot. People around you just don't usually care that much unless you get lucky enough to have a book written about something they love.

    TV and magazines would still work but radio and newspapers wouldn't get the attention of anyone under 30, but if that's the only demographic you want then go for it. :P

  5. #25
    Rogue Mutt
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Wickett View Post
    I'm disinclined to acquiesce your argument. Chucking money at random sites is not paid advertising. They aren't one in the same. You can pay for advertising and make it count, it doesn't all have to be a waist. There may be a decent way to get a following through your local community as you say, but I'd still consider that a one in a million shot. People around you just don't usually care that much unless you get lucky enough to have a book written about something they love.

    TV and magazines would still work but radio and newspapers wouldn't get the attention of anyone under 30, but if that's the only demographic you want then go for it. :P
    Honestly except for NPR I'm not sure how many books are advertised on the radio. And unless you're doing local access I doubt you'd have the money for a decent TV spot. Maybe some amateurish production at 3am like Homer Simpson's Mr. Plow ad. Where only drunks, angry loners, and the unemployable will see it.

  6. #26
    Rogue Mutt
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by John Oberon View Post
    Well, I've never believed much in internet advertising myself. I'm much more old school - radio, TV, magazines, and newspapers. Sounds more like the writing contest at BookBzz went south, and then the site vanished. They were only charging $7.50/month for their advertising services...not much. Yeah, I would consider $7.50 for a month of "advertising" a wasted investment, lol. I'm sure their "services" probably included what most anyone could do themselves.

    By the way, I think the bots found my site - my hits went up dramatically.
    Looking at your website I think the best way for you to sell your book is door-to-door. Maybe you can carpool with the Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons.

  7. #27
    Senior Member John Oberon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    3,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mutt View Post
    Looking at your website I think the best way for you to sell your book is door-to-door. Maybe you can carpool with the Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons.
    Just because one page addresses the Bible and God? You sure are antagonistic...I mean for God not existing and all, lol. Did you happen to read Oberonics?

  8. #28
    Senior Member John Oberon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    3,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mutt View Post
    Honestly except for NPR I'm not sure how many books are advertised on the radio. And unless you're doing local access I doubt you'd have the money for a decent TV spot. Maybe some amateurish production at 3am like Homer Simpson's Mr. Plow ad. Where only drunks, angry loners, and the unemployable will see it.
    I don't think my target demographic would include too many who listen to National Propaganda Radio, lol. My aim is toward more independent thinkers.

  9. #29
    Administrator Wickett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    662
    This pretty much sums up this conversation for me. Haha

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqQRi9zpS0o

  10. #30
    Rogue Mutt
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by John Oberon View Post
    Just because one page addresses the Bible and God? You sure are antagonistic...I mean for God not existing and all, lol. Did you happen to read Oberonics?
    Yeah Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses are probably too sane for a comparison. You're more in line with L Ron Hubbard with "Oberonics." lol

    I scanned the front page and saw Leslee, Beautiful Loser, LC, etc but I didn't see me on there. That's a little disappointing. But then I have to wonder if you got their permission to put that stuff on your web page.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts