HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    You should be careful what you call stupid, Mutt. I don't believe paperbacks cost $10 retail yet, and certainly not to produce. But yeah, I'm going to give away that profit. There are several products that launched into the mainstream doing exactly what I plan to do.

Here's the difference between us, Mutt: you think $50k is a lot of money; I don't. You think small. You sound like you think I'm just going to walk around and hand my book to people, lol.

If my goal is to sell a million books, giving away 5k is peanuts if it allows me to reach that goal, wouldn't you agree? If YOU were certain that by first giving away 5k books, you could sell a million, would you do it? Well, there's no certainty in anything in this life. There's always risk. The only thing you need is some guts, determination, and a strong belief that you've written a good book that a million people would want to read. I have that...plus a little advertising experience to grease the skids. Sure, I could lose a little, but almost certainly, I'll just break even, or make a little - that's mostly what I expect. But there's always that chance it could catch fire...you never know unless you take the risk.

Either way, I expect it to be great fun.

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by John Oberon View Post
    You should be careful what you call stupid, Mutt. I don't believe paperbacks cost $10 retail yet, and certainly not to produce. But yeah, I'm going to give away that profit. There are several products that launched into the mainstream doing exactly what I plan to do.

Here's the difference between us, Mutt: you think $50k is a lot of money; I don't. You think small. You sound like you think I'm just going to walk around and hand my book to people, lol.

If my goal is to sell a million books, giving away 5k is peanuts if it allows me to reach that goal, wouldn't you agree? If YOU were certain that by first giving away 5k books, you could sell a million, would you do it? Well, there's no certainty in anything in this life. There's always risk. The only thing you need is some guts, determination, and a strong belief that you've written a good book that a million people would want to read. I have that...plus a little advertising experience to grease the skids. Sure, I could lose a little, but almost certainly, I'll just break even, or make a little - that's mostly what I expect. But there's always that chance it could catch fire...you never know unless you take the risk.

Either way, I expect it to be great fun.
    I was using $10 just to make the math simple. Without knowing the size of your book it's hard to get a real estimate. Pretty much all self-published paperbacks are trade paperbacks, not the sort of traditional little paperbacks you're probably thinking of. The cheapest of those I sell is $9 and that is with very little profit margin. I'm not sure how much research you've actual done into this; it sounds like a lot of pie-in-the-sky wishful thinking more than a solid business plan.

But hey, while you're pissing away tens of thousands of dollars, how about giving me some?

Granted I've only given away a few books at a time but I haven't found much value to it. You'll be lucky if even 25% of the people who take the free book even read it within a couple of years. A million copies certainly isn't realistic for a self-published book, or even a regularly-published book. The 5,000 copies you plan to give away is about what the average mid-list book will actually sell. Before you start throwing too much money into this, you really need to do some research.

Alrighty, Mutt. I guess I just don't know what I'm doing, lol.

Gee, you just handed someone your book, and they didn't read it? Gosh, that's surprising. I wonder why not?

Maybe you don't know as much about business as you think you do. lol.

Rogue Mutt
    Alrighty, Mutt. I guess I just don't know what I'm doing, lol.

Gee, you just handed someone your book, and they didn't read it? Gosh, that's surprising. I wonder why not?

Maybe you don't know as much about business as you think you do. lol.
    I'm not sure what point you think you're making, but clearly you think it's awful darned funny.

Anyway, you obviously don't know much about bookselling. But hey, you're so much smarter than pretty much everyone else who's ever been in the business. Why didn't they think to hand out books like business cards and put themselves tens of thousands in dollars in debt? It's such an obvious business plan! lol

Well, yeah, Mutt...it's just like I said - you think I'm going to walk around and give my book to people. I suppose that's what YOU'D do (and DID, apparently), but not me.

I'm not trying to make a point, aside from saying your plan of just giving books away to whomever is a bad plan, which you amply proved. Of course, I don't need to do that to already know that's a bad plan. The who, why, when, and where of the giving makes a huge difference as to whether it's effective or not, wouldn't you agree? Do you think there might be a leeeeetle difference between giving my book to a complete stranger or even a friend who didn't ask for it, and oh, let's say an enthusiastic member of a John Oberon fan club? Do you think there might be a difference in the chances of them reading it and talking to their friends about it? Of course, there are no John Oberon fan clubs out there...yet, lol. But I have a plan to get my book into the hands of the right people at the right time.

Anyway, I think you've reached your sarcasm quota with me, so you'll just have to leave me to my stupidity.
    Last edited by John Oberon; 03-24-2015 at 04:40 AM.

Rogue Mutt
    Well, yeah, Mutt...it's just like I said - you think I'm going to walk around and give my book to people. I suppose that's what YOU'D do (and DID, apparently), but not me.

I'm not trying to make a point, aside from saying your plan of just giving books away to whomever is a bad plan, which you amply proved. Of course, I don't need to do that to already know that's a bad plan. The who, why, when, and where of the giving makes a huge difference as to whether it's effective or not, wouldn't you agree? Do you think there might be a leeeeetle difference between giving my book to a complete stranger or even a friend who didn't ask for it, and oh, let's say an enthusiastic member of a John Oberon fan club? Do you think there might be a difference in the chances of them reading it and talking to their friends about it? Of course, there are no John Oberon fan clubs out there...yet, lol. But I have a plan to get my book into the hands of the right people at the right time.

Anyway, I think you've reached your sarcasm quota with me, so you'll just have to leave me to my stupidity.
    I don't know where you got the idea that I "handed out" books. Of course not. They were part of giveaways on websites. A John Oberon fan club? LOL! Thanks for brightening my day with that joke.

Your plan is dumb and I hate to see someone waste a bunch of money like that. If you're using Print On Demand you don't need to print all 5,000 at once. Just print a smaller batch, gauge the response, and then print more as needed. You'll save a lot more money that way.

Print on demand is way more expensive than conventional printing, and I already chose my printer anyway.

Giveaways on websites...alrighty, that's much better, lol.

You haven't the slightest idea what my plan is, Mutt. Sheesh, what a negative person! Why is everything always tooth and nail with you? Maybe this will modify your opinion: I'm planning to give UP TO 5k books away. I'm not giving them away all at once, and I may not need to give that many away, but I'm prepared to go as many as 5k. I'm actually thinking it will be more in the 1k to 2k range.

Rogue Mutt
    Conventional printing? So you're having Staples print your book? That sounds much better. I ran an estimate on CreateSpace. For 5000 5x8 (the smallest size they have) books of 300 pages you're looking at $25,000 with shipping. I'm not sure how that compares with your local Staples.

Print on demand is way more expensive than conventional printing, and I already chose my printer anyway.

Giveaways on websites...alrighty, that's much better, lol.

You haven't the slightest idea what my plan is, Mutt. Sheesh, what a negative person! Why is everything always tooth and nail with you? Maybe this will modify your opinion: I'm planning to give UP TO 5k books away. I'm not giving them away all at once, and I may not need to give that many away, but I'm prepared to go as many as 5k. I'm actually thinking it will be more in the 1k to 2k range.

Honestly, when you stop and think about it, does it it really matter how you go about it? I mean, everyone probably has had some success with many different avenues.

LOL...Staples!? Mutt...sheesh, lol.

Sure, Wickett...lotsa roads to success.