HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Most of them consist of the same phrases, such as:

"While I find your project interesting, I don't feel it is right for me."

and/or

"This business is selective, and another agent may feel differently."

I obviously thought it was an actual letter until I kept getting several with almost the exact same wording.

There WERE some actual letters, a few praising the work just to say they weren't taking on new clients. A couple that said they weren't so excited about it (which is fine, opinions exist even if they don't favor you)...

But the vast majority were the same letter with only slightly different words. In fact, many said "Dear Author" on them lol.

Well, I vote for patience and persistence, but I'm certainly not against trying something new. What do you mean by "absurd"? Do you have an example of the kind of query you want to try?

I haven't decided. I bad thought of varied sizes of texts and colors, along with a congratulatory tone as if they had opened a letter from Publisher's Clearing House... since they're so lucky I queried them (lol). I even thought of writing part of it in Cyrillic Russian since I speak it. (and of course translating in footnotes).

That's the start.... just passing thoughts.

lol...well, I don't know about anyone else, but something like that would probably make me throw away your query even quicker. I guess you could try it though.

yeah I have had more time to think about it and I'm not so sure it wasn't a product of a tired and frustrated mind. Not all brainstorms grow good things lol.

I DO need something to change this pattern however. I don't have connections to rely upon nor a "previous best seller" moniker, so I'm going to need much more than a query letter to get anywhere apparently.

If you really believe in your book, invest some moolah <gasp>. That's what I'm planning. I plan to print maybe about 5K initially and buy some radio. Of course, I've been around advertising for a while so I know the ropes a bit and can produce my own art and scripts, but it will still require some jack. I'm going to give Kickstarter a whirl, just for the heck of it, but I'm not really expecting full backing. I expect to shoulder the entire risk. If you're looking for free, you could epublish (which I plan to do also), but that arena is so filled with trash books, you need to be careful to fan the stench away from your book. There are many internet ploys to tout a book, some free, some not. I intend to avail myself.

In short, I expect a lot of hard work, cleverness, and just plain time to make a book go. Maybe as an older man, I'm a bit more patient (and perhaps realistic) than you, I don't know. You sound like a younger fellow.

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by John Oberon View Post
    If you really believe in your book, invest some moolah <gasp>. That's what I'm planning. I plan to print maybe about 5K initially and buy some radio. Of course, I've been around advertising for a while so I know the ropes a bit and can produce my own art and scripts, but it will still require some jack. I'm going to give Kickstarter a whirl, just for the heck of it, but I'm not really expecting full backing. I expect to shoulder the entire risk. If you're looking for free, you could epublish (which I plan to do also), but that arena is so filled with trash books, you need to be careful to fan the stench away from your book. There are many internet ploys to tout a book, some free, some not. I intend to avail myself.

In short, I expect a lot of hard work, cleverness, and just plain time to make a book go. Maybe as an older man, I'm a bit more patient (and perhaps realistic) than you, I don't know. You sound like a younger fellow.
    From personal experience it's the "trash books" that sell. Printing 5,000 books and buying radio time seems like a huge waste of money to me. Print 5 books first and see if anyone wants them before you print thousands.

That would sound good except that I'm a husband and father and work full time. I don't have the extra money to toss at something that I don't have the time to promote. As far as patience, I've been pitching one of these books since 2011 and the realism is that I can't justify taking money away from my family that I may never get back to take a chance at something that may not work when the reviews and reception I have gotten in the past tells me there IS a place for my work on a shelf next to some of the sad jokes that pass as literature.

I would absolutely love to write full time, but until this hump is traversed it won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hagler View Post
    That would sound good except that I'm a husband and father and work full time. I don't have the extra money to toss at something that I don't have the time to promote. As far as patience, I've been pitching one of these books since 2011 and the realism is that I can't justify taking money away from my family that I may never get back to take a chance at something that may not work when the reviews and reception I have gotten in the past tells me there IS a place for my work on a shelf next to some of the sad jokes that pass as literature.

I would absolutely love to write full time, but until this hump is traversed it won't happen.
    Yeah, been there, done that. Here's what I did: wait. Devote your time and energies to your family, and keep writing. Wait until your kids are out, or nearly out, then pursue a writing career. It's a long time to wait, but I don't regret it. I kept my job and just wrote here and there when I could. Now my kids are almost flown, and I have the time and money to devote to a writing career, to risk a little. Just wait, and keep writing, and enjoy your family while you can, because they'll be gone before you know it.

Of course, if you can find a job in writing, then the wait is a lot easier. That's what I did.

Printing 5,000 books and buying radio time seems like a huge waste of money to me.

The operative words are "seems" and "to me". If I plan to give the 5,000 books away, then it isn't a waste is it? Particularly if I do it in a way calculated to drum up business? And the radio time won't cost too much, because as they say, "I know a guy." And I plan to do many other things that cost nothing or very little, and those come first. The sequence of marketing makes a difference in my plan. Really, I'm doing this more for fun than anything, and if I make some money, so much the better. I'm in it for the long haul, because I really like to write, and I like an adventure. It's something just for me, because I've spent most of my time and effort up until now on my family.
    Last edited by John Oberon; 03-23-2015 at 04:58 AM.

Rogue Mutt
    Yeah, been there, done that. Here's what I did: wait. Devote your time and energies to your family, and keep writing. Wait until your kids are out, or nearly out, then pursue a writing career. It's a long time to wait, but I don't regret it. I kept my job and just wrote here and there when I could. Now my kids are almost flown, and I have the time and money to devote to a writing career, to risk a little. Just wait, and keep writing, and enjoy your family while you can, because they'll be gone before you know it.

Of course, if you can find a job in writing, then the wait is a lot easier. That's what I did.

Printing 5,000 books and buying radio time seems like a huge waste of money to me.

The operative words are "seems" and "to me". If I plan to give the 5,000 books away, then it isn't a waste is it? Particularly if I do it in a way calculated to drum up business? And the radio time won't cost too much, because as they say, "I know a guy." And I plan to do many other things that cost nothing or very little, and those come first. The sequence of marketing makes a difference in my plan. Really, I'm doing this more for fun than anything, and if I make some money, so much the better. I'm in it for the long haul, because I really like to write, and I like an adventure. It's something just for me, because I've spent most of my time and effort up until now on my family.
    Giving away 5,000 books is the height of stupidity. For simplicity let's say each one costs about $10, that's $50,000 you're just giving away! You'd do better to just put a flier on the bulletin board at your church.