HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

What do you guys think?

After getting sick of the auto-rejection letters that I keep getting from agents... and sick of redoing my query letters over and over to different pieces of advice... I have an idea:

I'm thinking of sending a query letter so freakishly absurd that it absolutely has to get attention beyond that of a normal letter. Is this a good idea to avoid the trapdoor of auto-reject, or is this just the ridiculous product of a frustrated mind that I should avoid doing?

Mind you, I'm not thinking of anything insulting or vulgar... just off the wall.

My work gets wonderful reviews, but I'm sick of having to settle for POD publishers or as in the case in my other post: getting shafted by a less than scrupulous agent.

Gimme feedback...
    Last edited by Chris Hagler; 03-10-2015 at 08:00 PM. Reason: misspell

The query has to sell your book. Are you talking about writing things that aren't true of your book or what? My advice is patience is a virtue and persistence is the slow but sure road to success. Lots of famous authors received nothing but rejections for many years before becoming "overnight" sensations.

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hagler View Post
    After getting sick of the auto-rejection letters that I keep getting from agents... and sick of redoing my query letters over and over to different pieces of advice... I have an idea:

I'm thinking of sending a query letter so freakishly absurd that it absolutely has to get attention beyond that of a normal letter. Is this a good idea to avoid the trapdoor of auto-reject, or is this just the ridiculous product of a frustrated mind that I should avoid doing?

Mind you, I'm not thinking of anything insulting or vulgar... just off the wall.

My work gets wonderful reviews, but I'm sick of having to settle for POD publishers or as in the case in my other post: getting shafted by a less than scrupulous agent.

Gimme feedback...
    I'm sure whatever you think is freakishly absurd has already been done before. I'd say find the greenest agents you can so they might find it clever.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mutt View Post
    I'm sure whatever you think is freakishly absurd has already been done before. I'd say find the greenest agents you can so they might find it clever.
    Myself, I wouldn't want the greenest agent hawking my book. But then, you never know...the newest are often the most enthusiastic.

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by John Oberon View Post
    Myself, I wouldn't want the greenest agent hawking my book. But then, you never know...the newest are often the most enthusiastic.
    I was just saying the greenhorns are the only ones who'd probably fall for that trick.

If only we had someone on here who was really really bad at writing and query letters to help give Chris some shock value.

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by Wickett View Post
    If only we had someone on here who was really really bad at writing and query letters to help give Chris some shock value.
    Flash the Craig-signal!

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mutt View Post
    Flash the Craig-signal!
    I knew I could count on you.

You guys crack me up.

Honestly I don't intend to do anything cruel or mean, I just want to get past the typical:

"Thank you for your submission. Due to the volume of queries we receive..." I can almost hear Ben Stein's voice reading it.

I have redone my query letter enough times to choke a camel.... so there has to be another answer.

John, I'm certain you're right about the patience thing, but every time I go into this process I rack up 100+ inquiries with a very high autoreject rate. I just want to try something new and see what happens... to be honest, that patience is just about gone.

With the reviews I've gotten and the feedback, I know within reason if I could get an actual read I'd at least have a shot at something besides another POD.
    Last edited by Chris Hagler; 03-12-2015 at 08:04 PM. Reason: forgot line

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hagler View Post
    John, I'm certain you're right about the patience thing, but every time I go into this process I rack up 100+ inquiries with a very high autoreject rate. I just want to try something new and see what happens... to be honest, that patience is just about gone.

With the reviews I've gotten and the feedback, I know within reason if I could get an actual read I'd at least have a shot at something besides another POD.
    A high autoreject rate...to me, that means some weren't autorejects. Where were those responses like? Anything positive?