HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ancient Magic Meets the Internet

I've completed a humorous, fantasy trilogy which lives under the tagline Ancient Magic Meets the Internet. Personally, I quite like the tagline, but some readers have suggested it should be more active e.g. Ancient Magic Collides with the Internet.

In my head it's like Batman Meets Superman or Terry Pratchett Meets Dan Brown, the 'meets' implies an unusual pairing. I'd really welcome your thoughts.

Here's the blurb of book #1, Dark Tidings, to give an idea of the storyline...
    What happens when ancient magic meets the internet? One thing is certain, modern life will never be the same again.

A thousand years ago, a young thief, Tung, and a disgraced wizard, Madrick, are thrust together in an executioner’s dungeon.

In the darkness, Madrick reveals an incredible secret about a legendary spell. The great spell helps them escape their prison cell... and eventually their century.

Catapulted into the present day, their lives collide with Michael, a computer hacker who plans to destroy the world’s largest bank. But sinister people are tracking their every move and they will stop at nothing to steal their spell.

Out of interest, do you think the tagline 'Ancient Magic Meets the Internet' grabs the attention?

Well, yeah...people meet each other, not things. Things "collide" or "mesh" or "mix" or "intersect" or "intertwine" or something like that. Actually, I think something like "infiltrates", "invades", or "infects" would fit nicely: What happens when ancient magic infiltrates the internet?

Or if you want to switch to people: What happens when an ancient wizard meets a modern-day geek?

Rogue Mutt
    How about "What happens when ancient magic is unleashed on the Internet"?

Thanks guys, good thoughts. You hit my dilemma on the head i.e. should I have a more active word than meets? The reason I've stuck with meets is because it's a word critics/reviewers/commentators use to describe something new e.g. Dan Brown meets Terry Pratchett, Dracula meets Frankenstein's Monster, Star Wars meets Apocalypse Now.

I probably should change because the bottom line is not many people have noticed my tagline!

How about "Ancient mage encounters the internet" or "Ancient mage encounters cyberspace". Other words instead of meets could be: confronts, merges, challenges, wields, threatens, antagonizes. Hope this sparks a few ideas.
    K.S. Crooks - Dreamer and Author
    http://www.kscrooks.com

Quote Originally Posted by K.S. Crooks View Post
    How about "Ancient mage encounters the internet" or "Ancient mage encounters cyberspace". Other words instead of meets could be: confronts, merges, challenges, wields, threatens, antagonizes. Hope this sparks a few ideas.
    Thanks KS, more thoughts to feed into the mix. I'm still unsure... the most active verb I've used to date is collides. Ancient Magic Collides with the Internet, modern life will never be the same again.

Who knows?

I'm also playing about with an elevator pitch style, short blurb. At the moment it goes something like this...

Tung and Madrick are two medieval idiots who need to learn that mixing too much beer with ancient magic is a recipe for disaster. Throw in an Internet genius and the disaster can only get worse.

Here's another mini-blurb which I'm playing around with...

They stole millions from the world's richest bank, infected the Internet with ancient magic and wrecked our modern way of life… and they're the good guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Magee View Post
    They stole millions from the world's richest bank, infected the Internet with ancient magic and wrecked our modern way of life… and they're the good guys.
    I like this one better than your 4/20 one.