HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Question about agent and agency

I signed an agent three years ago to a 6 year contract. She signed a book deal with... what I did not know at the time was her OWN publishing company.

Since then the agency and the publisher have dissolved. Is there any legality stopping me from shopping the story again, and how on earth would I begin that process?

I would think not, since the entities that entered into the contract with you no longer exist. I would think it similar to entering into a contract with a person who later dies. The contract is null and void because it cannot be fulfilled, unless of course death is a contingency addressed in the contract. Probably wouldn't hurt to ask a lawyer. They have eyes for fine print, and who knows what cockamamie laws they've invented.

If it was published and sold well, I'd query publishers directly and cite your numbers as proof your book is a moneymaker. You might be able to do without an agent for this work and take home a little more money. If it was published, but didn't sell well, I'd edit it hard or maybe re-write it and shop it as a new book. If it was never published, I'd just query it normally. That's my two cents.
    Last edited by John Oberon; 11-06-2014 at 04:38 AM.

John could be right about there being some loophole that would allow you to do this, but honestly I don't see it happening. Sounds to me like too much was signed away.

Looked at the contract again. I was WRONG! The contract was for three years and it was in 2010. (I got my contracts mixed up).

Any suggestions for an agency that would be open to this sort of thing? The book was intended to be the first in a series, and the sequel MS's are ready. It wouldn't be a one-trick pony.

Rogue Mutt
    What sort of thing? Go take a gander at Preditors and Editors and Agent Query and such and see who takes your genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hagler View Post
    Looked at the contract again. I was WRONG! The contract was for three years and it was in 2010. (I got my contracts mixed up).

Any suggestions for an agency that would be open to this sort of thing? The book was intended to be the first in a series, and the sequel MS's are ready. It wouldn't be a one-trick pony.

Well, after 35 queries sent out, we're up to 31 rejections, most all auto-rejects. Still haven't heard from 4, but this is what happened when I pitched this MS the first time. P&E and Agent Query were good ideas Rogue, I used them before. Thing is it's getting me the same result as always. That's kinda how I ended up in the mess I was in with this book the first go around.

Agents are annoying..........

Duplicate post somehow, here's the lovely edit.
    Last edited by Chris Hagler; 03-10-2015 at 07:41 PM. Reason: duplicate