HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Agent search from a few years ago came up empty. Wah!

Hello, WN'ers

I haven't posted here in awhile. All right, it's been years. But I wanted to share the story of my search for a literary agent and how a book I wrote and posted about here on WN actually got written by another author, and got published, and got a movie deal. I got nothing. But this post isn't full of malice, not even negativity. I just wanted to express how I got close, maybe to encourage someone out there, if you are close and thinking about giving up.

In 2008 I was writing a book about Rosalyn, the girl that Romeo dumped. It was set in modern times, at a high school in Northern California. Rosalyn was the protagonist, and it followed her as she fell for Romeo, then found out that Romeo was a jerk and Juliet was a conniving tramp. I posted on WN about my book, and about my agent search. I eventually contacted over 50 agents, with different query letters, with the query letters being tinkered with and touched up with the help of WNers around the world.

I never got published and put the book away. Fast forward to 2014, and I was thinking of writing a new book. I got the old Rosalyn book, titled 'Roz's Lovers Lost', out and looked over it. I was wondering really how bad I would think it was, after not looking at it for five years. I was surprised to find that it was, in my opinion, actually pretty good. So I started working on it again. This was in April of this year. My sister was helping me read over it one day, and said, 'Hey, a movie is coming out about this." I looked it up, and sure enough, a Rosalyn movie was in the works. It was based on the novel 'When You were Mine' by Rebecca Serle. I bought the book, and guess what? It was set in modern times, at a high school in Northern California.

Now you think I'm going to rant and rave about how my idea was stolen. I'm not. People come up with ideas from all over, for all different reasons. Ms. Serle is probably an excellent writer. Maybe I am not. But the kicker is that the movie rights to the book were sold rather quickly; and from internet reports (if you believe those) the movie that will be made will not be set in modern times at all--all that it will have in common with Serle's book is that Rosalyn is the protagonist. It is the idea that sold the movie rights.

I never became a published writer (so far). But you see from this story that if you are out there and you know you're close, you have to keep going. I contacted over 50 agents, but I never contacted the one that eventually became Rebecca Serle's agent, although I knew of this particular agent at that time (Julie Barer, I believe), and there was nothing that kept me from contacting her except lack of trying. So you got to keep going. You just have to, if you know that your stuff is good.

Now then, you might think this whole story is just self-agrandising, and it is. I'm glad to say that I came that close. I thought I had what it takes, and I was right (at least most-likely). I think, from all this, that I might just have to try again.

My grandfather used to tell me that other people often succeed not because they're more talented or intelligent, but because they're more persistent.

Quote Originally Posted by John Oberon View Post
    My grandfather used to tell me that other people often succeed not because they're more talented or intelligent, but because they're more persistent.
    Yep, very true. I think any writer knows that patience and perseverance are key.

Rogue Mutt
    Meh, it's pretty common to adapt Shakespeare to modern day and to explore the lives of minor literary characters. I tend to think it's because the authors can't think of any original ideas so they'd rather stand on the shoulders of giants. And some of them get rich from it. Sucks, but that's how the world works.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    Hello, WN'ers

I haven't posted here in awhile. All right, it's been years. But I wanted to share the story of my search for a literary agent and how a book I wrote and posted about here on WN actually got written by another author, and got published, and got a movie deal. I got nothing. But this post isn't full of malice, not even negativity. I just wanted to express how I got close, maybe to encourage someone out there, if you are close and thinking about giving up.

In 2008 I was writing a book about Rosalyn, the girl that Romeo dumped. It was set in modern times, at a high school in Northern California. Rosalyn was the protagonist, and it followed her as she fell for Romeo, then found out that Romeo was a jerk and Juliet was a conniving tramp. I posted on WN about my book, and about my agent search. I eventually contacted over 50 agents, with different query letters, with the query letters being tinkered with and touched up with the help of WNers around the world.

I never got published and put the book away. Fast forward to 2014, and I was thinking of writing a new book. I got the old Rosalyn book, titled 'Roz's Lovers Lost', out and looked over it. I was wondering really how bad I would think it was, after not looking at it for five years. I was surprised to find that it was, in my opinion, actually pretty good. So I started working on it again. This was in April of this year. My sister was helping me read over it one day, and said, 'Hey, a movie is coming out about this." I looked it up, and sure enough, a Rosalyn movie was in the works. It was based on the novel 'When You were Mine' by Rebecca Serle. I bought the book, and guess what? It was set in modern times, at a high school in Northern California.

Now you think I'm going to rant and rave about how my idea was stolen. I'm not. People come up with ideas from all over, for all different reasons. Ms. Serle is probably an excellent writer. Maybe I am not. But the kicker is that the movie rights to the book were sold rather quickly; and from internet reports (if you believe those) the movie that will be made will not be set in modern times at all--all that it will have in common with Serle's book is that Rosalyn is the protagonist. It is the idea that sold the movie rights.

I never became a published writer (so far). But you see from this story that if you are out there and you know you're close, you have to keep going. I contacted over 50 agents, but I never contacted the one that eventually became Rebecca Serle's agent, although I knew of this particular agent at that time (Julie Barer, I believe), and there was nothing that kept me from contacting her except lack of trying. So you got to keep going. You just have to, if you know that your stuff is good.

Now then, you might think this whole story is just self-agrandising, and it is. I'm glad to say that I came that close. I thought I had what it takes, and I was right (at least most-likely). I think, from all this, that I might just have to try again.

I'm curious, Mutt...why do you think that sucks?

Yessss! *gabs popcorn*

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by Wickett View Post
    Yessss! *gabs popcorn*
    Gabs? Does your popcorn talk?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mutt View Post
    Gabs? Does your popcorn talk?
    It does! It talks way better than I type when I'm in a hurry. Haha.

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by John Oberon View Post
    I'm curious, Mutt...why do you think that sucks?
    Yes, why does unoriginality suck?