HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Looking for an agent for something a little different

I am working on a book of reviews for independent horror films and film makers. I have several reviews completed and am interviewing a few of the stars and directors to coincide with the reviews. The book is geared for a target audience and is more of a reference guide than a critical summary. My goal is to bring some audience to the films and give the filmmakers an outlet to talk about their film making experiences and their journey into the genre. My goal is to review about 25 films per year and speak with the film makers and actors. So I plan to do a new review book once a year. I am looking for an agent who can help me bring the book to the right audience and help me make my vision a success. Any suggestions or agents out there interested?

Rogue Mutt
    Agents like money. There's no money in this. You'll probably have to self-publish it.

I understand that. That is why I mentioned it as something different. I know there are some people out there that like long shots and will take a chance. There may not be best seller money involved with this but I think there would still be an audience and also a curiosity that non-fans would have as well. Self publishing is always an option and one that I am willing to take if need be. Still testing the waters to see what is out there. Thank you for your point of view though. I welcome all angles.

Oh, I don't know. This sounds like more of a reference book to me than anything. You might be able to find someone in Writer's Market. You never know.

Thank you John, I guess this would be more of a reference book than anything. I am excited to be getting some talented filmmakers involved and giving me some great insight to the making of their films. I will certainly keep shopping around and see what I can come up with.

You may be better off going directly to a small or university press which has a stated interest in film topics. I don't know if your project has the academic clout to be of interest to this specific press, but you should do some research and find out who is working this terrain:

FILM STUDIES SUNY Press has published a variety of books on the history, production, cultural reception, and social meaning of film. Current topics of interest include specific films, filmmakers, genres, historical eras of film production, and production processes, as well as multicultural, ethnographic, technical, and theoretical aspects of cinema.