HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Oh My! I made it past the first hurdle - at last!

Hi all

Just wanted to share this with you today. I finally made it past that first hurdle of getting an agent to ask for a full!!! The agent is one who likes to "bring new and exciting talent to a wider audience" and they said they "very much liked what they have read so far."

Which means... my query letter, synopsis and 50 pages actually did their jobs! After months and months (ok years!) of sweating and tweaking and getting rejection after rejection.

Of course, I do realise that this does not mean anything and that an idea can be rejected after this stage.

But the point is... this is the first time I have made it his far, and I believe it is because my writing has improved so much and everything is falling more into place.

Even if it stops here, I am looking at it in a positive light and moving ever upwards.

Wish me luck

DW
    Last edited by Dublin Writer; 09-24-2014 at 06:09 AM.

Good news, DW. Mind telling us how you vetted this agent's credentials? (There's lots of sharks in these waters, and I don't mean Query Shark.)

Congratulations! Good to hear.

Yeah, just watch out if the agent starts asking you for money to do things.

Thanks guys for watching my back I'm well aware of such shenanigans and of course will not part with a dime! I am very long in the tooth, as they sayn and not easily flattered.

However, I'm going to allow myself to get a little excited. This agency is relatively new, formed by a publisher who has been in the business for 30 years. They have about 8 ppl on their list right now, so of course I will do my research but my MS is winging it's way because as you all know only too well, it takes long enough anyway for these busy agents to get back, so there will be plenty of time to dig deep.

And anyway, I'm not really counting on it ;-)

DW

Well, I hope it turns out great. It would be great to hear, so don't forget to tell us if it happens for you.

Thanks John.

You can be sure I will report any good news here! Just a point to note too. Although it's never a cast iron guarantee, the agent is listed in the well respected Writers' and Artists' Yearbook so I am taking that as another positive.

Just got to hope that my whole novel meets with approval.

DW

Good to play it safe. Here are a few more places to check agent bona fides:

AgentQuery.
    Writer Beware
    Preditors & Editors.

Luck.

Congrats!

How exciting! I've gotten particles before, but never a full. Congrats! I hope the agents decides s/he wants to represent your work!! Keep us posted.