HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Is good writing a thing of the past in Hollywood?

I've been noticing for some time now that Hollywood seems to not place a lot of stock in good writing. While there are some extremely well-written scripts nowadays, there are far more examples of studios trying to substitute visual spectacle for a good solid story. Case in point: just about everything done by M. Night Schymalan, whose scripts are loaded with plot holes large enough to sail an aircraft carrier through them as well as some truly hideous dialogue. It may sound a a bit obvious, but has anyone else noticed that lately?

There are lot of great scripts out there, but the studios have largely abandoned moderately budgeted films, focusing primarily on big budget franchise type blow-everything-up movies that will gross hundreds of millions, if not billions worldwide.

Also, after the last writer's strike the studios axed a lot of the development deals they had with production companies, making it much harder for those prod cos to get medium budget films (mid-eight figures) made.

From where I sit (and I'm strictly a movie goer, not a maker), it seems that since the advent of CGIóbeginning, say, with The Matrixómore emphasis is given to visual action than to dramatic arc. Hollywood produces what it thinks most people want to see, and right now they're turning the movie screen into a giant video device that appeals young, male gamers.

I see it as a consequence of the TV generation. I've also noticed kids like randomness, particularly with comedy. They don't like sequence and development. They want constant change especially visually. Have you seen some of the horrible films where they jerk the camera all over the place like in some of the Bourne series? It's enough to give you a seizure, but kids seem to like that, though I'm stumped as to why. I watched a fellow on YouTube who is popular with kids. He talks with people and switches the conversation on random tangents that leave people befuddled. Kids think he's a scream. I think he's an idiot without a drop of talent. Contrast a bozo like that with Cosby or Carlin who were masters of language...there is no comparison.

I guess every generation drives the previous generation insane, lol.