HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Film Fests

Glad some good honest points were made, but let's try to steer this back to our original topic shall we?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mutt View Post
    Gary's not even here anymore. And the reason people attacked your background is because you talk all high-and-mighty about it but refuse to provide any details, thus making it appear to everyone that you're lying.
    Whenever I read Simon, she doesn't strike me as high and mighty. Usually, people who do that are pretty handy name-droppers, like to use insider jargon, and enjoy telling stories rather than relating facts. Simon always reads as plain-spoken to me, typically short but sweet, and that's usually the mark of a truthful person. But then, I'm not much of a liar myself, so I tend to believe rather than distrust people.

What is it that you view as "high-and-mighty" Mutt? That her film won an award at a festival? Because unless it was Cannes or Sundance or something like that, it sounds like small potatoes to me...sweet, good-tasting, small potatoes that would thrill just about anyone. I would be thrilled with it, if I were her, and I was thrilled for her.

I don't know, Mutt. Why does it always have to be dust and grit, tooth and nail with you? I often wonder who it was that hurt you so badly to freeze you into an almost permanent attack stance. That's why I can never really get angry with you...I mean besides not really knowing you, lol. You always appear to me to contend with some deep pain or insecurity, though that's pure conjecture on my part, but I think I've experienced enough pain and insecurity in my own life to recognize the same tune in somebody else's life.

Anyway, I like good news, and I like to buck up whenever and wherever I can.

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Says View Post
    I don't care if you believe me or not Mutt, but I'll continue to share my ups and downs because as John pointed out it can help with morale or possibly impart knowledge. And because of people like you and Gary, I'll continue to do it anonymously.
    You mean people who would point out you're not as big and important as you liked to lead newbies to believe? You're like this one publisher I worked with who claimed books were "International Bestsellers" because they ended up on one of Amazon's many bestseller category lists--usually in the FREE category.

I never claimed to be big and important. Just knowledgable and experienced with some successes (if you define success as supporting yourself doing what you love and/or having stuff produced.) I never exaggerated my experience or accomplishments. But I worked in development at a Hollywood production company for years and have been hired to write 8 features over the last seven or so. I've gotten further than 99.9% of aspiring writers in this town - though not as far as I'd like to go, yet. And I'm proud of that. But I get up every damn day and work on my specs or go out and try to convince producers to hire me to write their projects and when they do, I work my ass off to write them something great - no matter their budget or how much I make. I put the same amount of time, energy and creativity into a script that pays me low five figures as one that pays me six figures. So even if most of my projects don't have 50 million dollar budgets or star George Clooney - that doesn't make them any less respectable or lower quality.

Like the vast majority of working screenwriters, I have no fame and am not big or important. But I'm a working, professional screenwriter and you may look down on that, but I worked extremely hard to get this far and I couldn't be prouder.
    Last edited by Simon Says; 11-11-2014 at 03:22 PM.

Rogue Mutt
    It's too bad none of what you just said is verifiable. Anyway, it seems the only reason you show up here anymore is to talk about yourself. But since you think people here are evil stalker creeps I'm not sure why you bother.

I never claimed to be big and important. Just knowledgable and experienced with some successes (if you define success as supporting yourself doing what you love and/or having stuff produced.) I never exaggerated my experience or accomplishments. But I worked in development at a Hollywood production company for years and have been hired to write 8 features over the last seven or so. I've gotten further than 99.9% of aspiring writers in this town - though not as far as I'd like to go, yet. And I'm proud of that. But I get up every damn day and work on my specs or go out and try to convince producers to hire me to write their projects and when they do, I work my ass off to write them something great - no matter their budget or how much I make. I put the same amount of time, energy and creativity into a script that pays me low five figures as one that pays me six figures. So even if most of my projects don't have 50 million dollar budgets or star George Clooney - that doesn't make them any less respectable or lower quality.

Like the vast majority of working screenwriters, I have no fame and am not big or important. But I'm a working, professional screenwriter and you may look down on that, but I worked extremely hard to get this far and I couldn't be prouder.

All of it's verifiable. But it will never be to you, cause you're a nasty piece of work. By the way, i've revealed my identity via pm to a number of people over the years. But I prefer to control who I share that info with and not post it pubilically.

And perhaps your offense at my not posting under my real name would hold a little more water if you posted under your own. Most of the people who read your posts have no idea who you are - although you've clearly revealed what you are.
    Last edited by Simon Says; 11-11-2014 at 10:14 PM.

@Jayce.

The film doesn't have distribution yet. I can pm you the title when/if it does.
    Yowsa. I'm holding you to that.

I really don't see the need for her to verify anything. Don't you read her advice, Mutt? Ever seen anything that sounds like she really doesn't know what she's talking about? I haven't. Now some of it, I didn't know what she was talking about, lol. Like "work on my specs"...I don't really know what that means. Early in my career, I wrote on "spec", which meant I worked for a client in the hope he would buy what I wrote, but if he didn't like it, he didn't pay. I did that for a while until I earned enough of a reputation to stop it. I don't know if that's what she means. But the things that I do understand from her advice seem like good common sense. Not once have I thought, "Oh, this person has no clue about the writing game." Other than playing her cards close to the vest, can you point to something she wrote that reveals naiveté or cluelessness? I can't.

Simon, Rogue, that's enough. Back on topic or it's closed.

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by Wickett View Post
    Simon, Rogue, that's enough. Back on topic or it's closed.
    There, I mostly got a profile set up, except I don't know how you're supposed to change pictures.
    Last edited by Rogue Mutt; 11-12-2014 at 11:40 AM.