HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Help!

Quote Originally Posted by John Oberon View Post
    For me, it's good to work on three or more projects at the same time. You get cold on one, you heat up on another, and it's back and forth like that until you're done with one of them. Then you start a new project to replace the finished project. This way, you're always making headway somewhere. But everyone's different. I knew a guy who used TV to break the roadblock, another who wrote letters (with a pen, not email) to family or friends, and another who talked with his wife about the block until something shook loose. Just keep on trying things until you find something that works for you.
    I am taking your advice and returning to poetry writing for awhile. I have a collection of poems I've written over the years with an eye on publishing when completed. I am at a crossroads with my manuscript. I've gone back and rewritten some of the plot to make two characters more interesting, and this change may require rewriting subsequent chapters, which I don't want to do b/c it's good writing, so I don't know if these paths will converge. Therein lies my dilemma.

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    I've gone back and rewritten some of the plot to make two characters more interesting, and this change may require rewriting subsequent chapters, which I don't want to do b/c it's good writing, .
    That can be one of the hardest things for an author to do, to go back and rewrite or eliminate beloved characters, dialogue and events. I did exactly that in my second novel (well, third really, but the second one in the series) during my final editing passes, just before I was about to publish it. I realized that the story had gotten too complicated, so I went back and deleted about 10% of the book and reworked it, losing a new character I really liked in the process. The revised version ended up being much better, in my opinion. It was hard, but worth the anguish. Fortunately, I'll reintroduce that character in a later installment, so it wasn't a complete loss ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilfindel View Post
    That can be one of the hardest things for an author to do, to go back and rewrite or eliminate beloved characters, dialogue and events. I did exactly that in my second novel (well, third really, but the second one in the series) during my final editing passes, just before I was about to publish it. I realized that the story had gotten too complicated, so I went back and deleted about 10% of the book and reworked it, losing a new character I really liked in the process. The revised version ended up being much better, in my opinion. It was hard, but worth the anguish. Fortunately, I'll reintroduce that character in a later installment, so it wasn't a complete loss ;-)
    Thanks, I've considered this, and your post helps knowing that others have done it, and understand. It will be a better book.
    I was starting to doubt myself as a writer.

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    Thanks, I've considered this, and your post helps knowing that others have done it, and understand. It will be a better book.
    I was starting to doubt myself as a writer.
    I think writers are often times like painters. They never are truly satisfied with their work, which is what drives them to be better. Don't get discouraged, you obviously have talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Wickett View Post
    I think writers are often times like painters. They never are truly satisfied with their work, which is what drives them to be better. Don't get discouraged, you obviously have talent.
    Thanks, for the compliment and your support, Wickett. Sorry to be so late in responding. I'm past my earlier angst about rewriting, and now it's shaping up, and I am pleased with it.

That's great to hear. Keep us posted on how it all turns out.