HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help!

Hybrid View

Help!

I'm writing the second draft of my novel, and I have writer's block. Any suggestions?

Just push through the pain, man ;-) It's hard when you run into a brick wall, mentally, but it happens to everyone. I suggest just writing something down, got some thoughts going, even if you're not sure if it's working. If that fails, work on a different part of the story, or capture at least a synopsis of where you'd like to go with it. Failing that, go for a walk and clear your head. Don't forget to stop and smell the roses on occasion. Good luck!

For me, it's good to work on three or more projects at the same time. You get cold on one, you heat up on another, and it's back and forth like that until you're done with one of them. Then you start a new project to replace the finished project. This way, you're always making headway somewhere. But everyone's different. I knew a guy who used TV to break the roadblock, another who wrote letters (with a pen, not email) to family or friends, and another who talked with his wife about the block until something shook loose. Just keep on trying things until you find something that works for you.

Complete and total relaxation. It's like trying too hard to fall asleep. As soon as you stop trying, it comes. Epiphanies happen when you aren't trying to have one, and if you just relax about it and don't stress, something will eventually click. It may require going back and altering a couple of things, but that's way better than stopping altogether and the work going to waste. Remember, it's your story, and it can go in any direction you want it to go.

Gin helps.

Rogue Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by jayce View Post
    Gin helps.
    If you really want to get creative, drop some acid. It worked for the Beatles!

Quote Originally Posted by Wickett View Post
    Complete and total relaxation.
    Wickett? So you write in your sleep? Lol. Seriously, if I had to be relaxed I'd never write. And I've definitely been known to have a beer or two while writing, though I wouldn't advise it for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tinman View Post
    Wickett? So you write in your sleep? Lol. Seriously, if I had to be relaxed I'd never write. And I've definitely been known to have a beer or two while writing, though I wouldn't advise it for everyone.
    Not at all. I am actually quite energetic when I write. I was giving that tip for writers block. Looking back, mental relaxation may have put it better. Your mind sorta spazzes with writers block, and the more you want to get past it, the harder it will be. It's almost like a healthy dose of temporary apathy.

I also like to drink wine sometimes. It wasn't the alcohol that I found bad, it was the alcoholism. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Wickett View Post
    Complete and total relaxation. It's like trying too hard to fall asleep. As soon as you stop trying, it comes. Epiphanies happen when you aren't trying to have one, and if you just relax about it and don't stress, something will eventually click. It may require going back and altering a couple of things, but that's way better than stopping altogether and the work going to waste. Remember, it's your story, and it can go in any direction you want it to go.
    Sometimes that's exactly it. Complete and total relaxation.

Good luck!

Best,
    K.P Gazelle

Quote Originally Posted by John Oberon View Post
    For me, it's good to work on three or more projects at the same time. You get cold on one, you heat up on another, and it's back and forth like that until you're done with one of them. Then you start a new project to replace the finished project. This way, you're always making headway somewhere. But everyone's different. I knew a guy who used TV to break the roadblock, another who wrote letters (with a pen, not email) to family or friends, and another who talked with his wife about the block until something shook loose. Just keep on trying things until you find something that works for you.
    I am taking your advice and returning to poetry writing for awhile. I have a collection of poems I've written over the years with an eye on publishing when completed. I am at a crossroads with my manuscript. I've gone back and rewritten some of the plot to make two characters more interesting, and this change may require rewriting subsequent chapters, which I don't want to do b/c it's good writing, so I don't know if these paths will converge. Therein lies my dilemma.